Training yoyos to feed from your hand

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Wexford

Training yoyos to feed from your hand

Post by Wexford » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:51 am

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone has any tips on how to train loaches to hand-feed?
I've read that Clowns and Yoyos will do this, and it seems a great way to bond with my stripy friends.

So far, mine are still juveniles, I've got 5 from about 4 - 6 cms. I've had them about a month

They don't "hang out" as a group really yet, or feed from the surface. In fact, after demolishing my snail population (although not the MTSs yet) they don't seem too bothered about flakes or pellets at all. So, as they don't come to the surface for food, I'm not sure how to train them to do this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Wex
The early bird may get the worm, but the last mouse gets the cheese

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:23 am

If you hold the food in your hand, the scent of the food will excite them and eventually they will overcome their fear and shyness. This may take time but eventually is worthwhile.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Wexford

Post by Wexford » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for the advice Doc. Any food you'd especially recommend? Something irresistible? :)

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:09 am

I did the same as Doc. I used the homemade frozen food and just held a piece between two fingers. After a while (several days) one would overcome it's fear and eat. Once one does it the others are much braver and you will soon have 20 loaches all trying to eat at once.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 pm

My clown loaches are just beginning to take food from my hand and I have had mine for 4 months!! I find bloodworm never fails, I defrost it and soak up the surplus water, then it is easy to hold in your hand. Mine also love Tetra prima/bits and Hikari algae wafers.

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Baby Clow Loaches are easier then grown up. to get their daily Enchitreus albidus served with a small stick but as they grow up they prefer to wait for the food in the bottom.
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Many of my fish will crowd around almost any frozen food, but bloodworms are the best, and will feed from algae wafers that stick to the glass.
They also dive for food while I am gravel vacuuming.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Bloodworms.
I used to hold a frozen cube, shake it just a bit to get some ends wiggling about then hold it very still.
The youngest were always the bravest and would end up laying on my hand trying to gobble as much as they could before the bigger guys took over.

you have to hang on tight as it melts, tho. don't want anyone scarfing down a large frozen gob.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Wexford

Post by Wexford » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:58 am

Great advice all, thanks!
Frozen Bloodworms it is then! I will visit my LFS later this week.

Wex

Pilze

Post by Pilze » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:54 am

Mine are really good about hand feeding but now I can hardly get a finger or a hand in the tank to work without getting nibbled.
300gal: 15 Clowns, 5 Kubotai, 4 Peacock Eel, 1 Red Tailed Black Shark, 6 Tiger Barbs, 9 Rasbora heteramorpha
29g Planted: Yearling Eastern Painted Turtle

29g and 75g: For Sale

HSTurning

Post by HSTurning » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:03 pm

I started with frozen blood worms. After a few weeks they were eating out of my hand. I now thaw frozen foods so I dont have my hands in the tank as much. They don't even take shrimp from my hands at this point.

I just got 14 Sid's a couple of months ago and I can tell you that I have been nipped by all the different loaches I have and those little fish have a serious little nip. I have a freckle/mole on my arm and they never miss a chance to bite at it when I am cleaning or rearranging.
I need more tanks, more more more

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:47 am

I remember having a few sid in a mixed Botia tank and the sids never got molested despite their diminutive size :lol:

Wexford

Post by Wexford » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I bought some frozen bloodworm today. The guy in my LFS advised that I defrost and wash it first, as the water it's frozen in is nasty. So, don't know others experiences are there, but it seems sound advice?

I'll post any new fish nipping experiences! :)

Wexford

Post by Wexford » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:09 am

Spot on folks, it took 2 attempts to get the small ones feeding first and now they're all over me like a rash as soon as I put my hand in the tank with a block of bloodworm!

Great experience, I love how silky soft they feel wriggling in your hand :)

The biggest one still doesn't like to go for it though, just had a couple of nips of him, otherwise he hangs out and waits for the bits that escape the gang.