Filters and Sand

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TrebleClef84

Filters and Sand

Post by TrebleClef84 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:57 pm

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but since I only have sand because of my loaches, I decided to put it here.

I am losing my filters because the motors are wearing out. Either these filters are very crappily made or sand keeps getting stuck in them. Even though there is a lot of protection in the tank (plants, fake wood, real wood etc), there is a constant portion of sand that still circulates through the water (a small amount, but still there). Is it safe to put sponges over the intakes? Will that restrict their intake too much? Will that even help? I have 2 bio wheel 150's that are shot because of this.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:28 am

I have aquaclear HOB filters and and eheim cannister on my sand tanks. I have sponge pre-filters on most intakes, some I trim the tube to get the intake a little higher off the substrate. I haven't had any problems. Pre-filters will restrict the flow somewhat depending on the density of the sponge/how often you clean it etc. but i don't find it to be a problem.

zenins

Post by zenins » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:34 am

plaalye wrote:I have aquaclear HOB filters and and eheim canister on my sand tanks. I have sponge pre-filters on most intakes, some I trim the tube to get the intake a little higher off the substrate. I haven't had any problems. Pre-filters will restrict the flow somewhat depending on the density of the sponge/how often you clean it etc. but i don't find it to be a problem.
Agreed :)

I rinse the pre-filter intake sponges every time I do a partial water change.
Slip them off, rinse/squeeze a few times in a bucket of tank water you just took out of the aquarium, then put the sponge back on the intake.
Works well.
Use the a similar sponge as a pre-filter on the intake that you would use in the AquaClear HOB filter :wink:
Zenin

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:12 pm

Ditto! Ditto!
The Aquaclear line of HOB filters have good sponges for this. They will need cleaning to keep the flow of water going, but will keep a LOT of the sand out of the filters.
A slightly coarser sponge will work, too, and does not have to be cleaned quite so often. You may have to find this in the pond section of your LFS, and cut to fit.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

fredos417

Post by fredos417 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:26 pm

I have sponge pre-filters on most intakes. I rinse the pre-filter intake sponges every time I do a partial water change. The Aqua clear line of HOB filters have good sponges for this. They will need cleaning to keep the flow of water going, but will keep a LOT of the sand out of the filters.
Freddie Osuna

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:59 am

(I thought I just said that!) :roll:

Happy fish keeping!

ctabone

Post by ctabone » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:31 pm

The Aquaclear line of HOB filters have good sponges for this. They will need cleaning to keep the flow of water going, but will keep a LOT of the sand out of the filters.
A slightly coarser sponge will work, too, and does not have to be cleaned quite so often. You may have to find this in the pond section of your LFS, and cut to fit.

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:06 pm

There's always one or two in every crowd (group).
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:36 pm

:roll:

Happy fish keeping!

ctabone

Post by ctabone » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:00 am

:D