Neat Veggie Feeder

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cybermeez

Neat Veggie Feeder

Post by cybermeez » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:02 am

After running out of things to weigh/steak down cucumbers (rocks, plant weights, chop sticks etc.) for my fish, I just ordered this neat veggie feeder from eBay.

It's called a "Screwcumber" and appears to only be available from the UK. It's this corkscrew shaped piece of marine grade stainless steel that you "screw" the veggies onto.

Once it arrives I'll try to get some photos of it in my tank and post a review.

My best friend is a cat.

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:28 am

hi cybermeez
it's on ebay here too. nice design :D it's a pity the screws for wine-bottles are to small. may be I can find an old-fashioned one or one we had in our hotel as fixed-station for bottle opening :o
as I couldn't get the plastik-clamp once shown on loaches (JBL had one; a similar one is sold now in marine aquaristic shops in germany, but not here?) I decided for the short and cheep way: just a piece of a bar of stainless steel. that's it. makes 25 pieces, one for each hillstream tank.
gives me the idea to bend it for better recovering in the tank
cheers charles

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:39 am

I'll bet a bit of string on it would help recover it, too. Tie off the string outside the tank, of course. Gotta think about fish safety, too. Really thin string (like sewing thread or monofiliment) is probably not safe. How about yarn for knitting? (Maybe a bit ugly)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

zenins

Re: Neat Veggie Feeder

Post by zenins » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:58 am

cybermeez wrote:It's called a "Screwcumber" and appears to only be available from the UK. It's this corkscrew shaped piece of marine grade stainless steel that you "screw" the veggies onto.
I ordered and have used these stainless steel weights for a few years.

They work great and are easy to find in the tank when the veggies are all eaten.
I have used some steel skewers but they get buried in the sand fairly quickly, and I have used a fork, but does not look very good :wink:
Zenin

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:25 pm

I have been using one for a year and really like it. Here is a video of my fish eating shrimp off of one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihXLGDOyNd8
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:58 pm

bookpage wrote:I have been using one for a year and really like it. Here is a video of my fish eating shrimp off of one
Excellent!! the fish can get inside it as well!!!!

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Gotta love a loach feeding-frenzy! Are the smaller ones zebras or am I just too big of a loach noob?

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Yes, the smaller stripped ones are Botia striata.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1