Kubotais attacking Angels

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

angelfish83

Kubotais attacking Angels

Post by angelfish83 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:37 pm

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself...

I kept seeing fin damage on my angels in the morning and was at a loss...

Well I was out all day so the buggers were hungry. I come home to find my kubotais trying to bite my angel's anal fins, and my angels getting quite pissed at them...

Apparently they were successful last night. My male's anal fin had quite the chunk ripped out.

Its 90% healed now but you can still see the damage here (Angelfish fins heal SUPER fast)

Sooooo...

Here's the crappy part- if this continues, the loaches will be evicted (The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few)...

SO- If I added, say, four more Kubotais (If I can find them.. I have 2 because of lack of availability not ignorance) will this stop the problem??

Or, option B, if that won't work... I will have to give them to a loaches online member.... (free of course...)

I really prefer option A... Corys really don't do it for me...

But my angels can't be expected to tolerate this treatment...

Tastyfish

Post by Tastyfish » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:52 pm

Hey angelfish.
I dont think getting more kubotai's would help.
But i havent kept that species so you might want to wait until someone who have kept hem replies.
If i were you i would actually (if the economy of the individual is good) get another tank for loaches and others.
I hate getting rid of fishes, Especially fishes ive kept for a longer time.

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:09 pm

The loaches are in A++ quaolity- I have nowhere else to put em tho...

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:35 pm

Kubotais have a certain interest in large fins.

In my case, they went after gouramis; so I no longer keep gouramis. Once Kubotais discovered the excitement of playing with large fins, it was obvious they will not stop. Part of the game was to attach itself to a fin and catch a ride on a (hysterical) gourami. I imagine they would be even more fascinated with angels. I greatly doubt that adding more kubotais will improve the situation any.

Ya know, you have option C: get rid of angels...or may be there is a short-fin breed of angels? :wink:

QueenDustBunny

Kubotai and fins

Post by QueenDustBunny » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:57 pm

I have 4 Long-fin Rosey Barbs and my 3 Kubotai hae never nipped their fins. Just lucky for me. I wish you luck with your problem. Unfortunately I have no insight to offer.

Those poor angels and gouramis,how stressful.

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:17 am

Your rosy barbs are tiiiiny and dont sit still all night long in the same place thats why :( I think the larger size and more sedentary (especially @ night) nature of the gouramies and angels makes them better targets....

im sooo bummmmed this sux

Does this also mean my dreams of someday finding a store with histrionica and buying six of them are dashed too???

Will the larger and more boisterous histrionica also do this nipping thing to my angels??

The Kubotai have been doing it since the day I got them apparently...

I just didnt catch them until today- I kept finding fin damage I couldnt explain...

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:15 am

Agree on the rosy barbs difference.

There is one more thing to consider before giving them up: just how long were they in your tank? If less than a month, they may mend their ways by themselves...it may be partially the initial aggressive behavior (Another local experience: both Kubotais and even more Schisturas here tried to chase giant danios initially...not that this is possible...gave up after a while).

If you *really want* to try to keep them, a long shot: get a larger fish that keeps them in check. Something like modesta may do this (but this is playing with other dangers)... but a 5"+ pleco may do this as well. (Pleco does not have to do anything: just being there would make them more careful.)

As for "peaceful" loach: I don't think clowns or yoyo's would do this. If everything fails, consider kuhlis....

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:16 am

mikev wrote:Agree on the rosy barbs difference.

There is one more thing to consider before giving them up: just how long were they in your tank? If less than a month, they may mend their ways by themselves...it may be partially the initial aggressive behavior (Another local experience: both Kubotais and even more Schisturas here tried to chase giant danios initially...not that this is possible...gave up after a while).

If you *really want* to try to keep them, a long shot: get a larger fish that keeps them in check. Something like modesta may do this (but this is playing with other dangers)... but a 5"+ pleco may do this as well. (Pleco does not have to do anything: just being there would make them more careful.)

As for "peaceful" loach: I don't think clowns or yoyo's would do this. If everything fails, consider kuhlis....
I HAVE two five inch plecos :D and I've had these loaches for 7 or 8 months now :)...

As per Kuhlis... not really my cup of tea... I'm affraid I'm stuck with corys... :(

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:37 am

What are the dimensions of your angel/loach tank? Maybe the tank is not large enough for all inhabitants? I look after an 8ft display tank at work which is home to extra-large angel fish and many different loaches including Botia kubotai (all species kept in groups of 5 or more). Never seen any of the loaches nipping at the angels, and the tank has been established for over 3 and a half years:

Large angels need extra deep tanks because of their sheer height. I don't think you'd see this problem (in housing B. kubotai with either angels or gouramis) if the tank is spacious enough.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Tastyfish

Post by Tastyfish » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:19 am

You could try to get another kind of botia, maybe you could trade them at the store you bought them in.

Nice display tank Emma!

HylaChristine

Post by HylaChristine » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:24 am

That is soooo pretty Emma!

Angelfish, I have the same problem, I only have one guy, because I cant find any more at the moment, and My 12 1/2 common Pleco has bite marks on his tail all the time.
"Cereal is for bowls....Fish aren't." jodimartin2003
www.plecofanatics.com

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:27 am

HylaChristine wrote:My 12 1/2 common Pleco has bite marks on his tail all the time.
OMG...you sure it is the Kubotai who is doing it?
(They don't bother my 10" Common at all here).

HylaChristine

Post by HylaChristine » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:33 am

It started after I added him to the tank. It's a 75 G mostly loach tank, but I am pretty sure its him, he doesnt mess with the Geo or 7 inch featherfin catfish though. 12 1/2 inches is total length by the way and he is having another growth spurt as we speak.....
"Cereal is for bowls....Fish aren't." jodimartin2003
www.plecofanatics.com

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:37 am

mikev wrote:OMG...you sure it is the Kubotai who is doing it?
With angelfish83, the loch ness monster could be possible. Just a word of warning. :wink:

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:53 am

Graeme Robson wrote:
mikev wrote:OMG...you sure it is the Kubotai who is doing it?
With angelfish83, the loch ness monster could be possible. Just a word of warning. :wink:
Be civil. this is not the OT forum.

The more I act civily and you act otherwise the worse you look and the better I do.