Can someone please help? Sick Weather Loach!!! Parasite

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Afunnyone

Can someone please help? Sick Weather Loach!!! Parasite

Post by Afunnyone » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:45 am

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and don't really know where to begin My weather loach has a what seems to be a huge parasite growning inside of its face but I cannot tell what is really going on. I know its about to stop him from being able to breathe and eat and I am extremly worried about this. I have tried everything to help it and am out of resources other than this forum. I have pictures of what I am talking about but I do not know how to post them. Whatever it is has basically filled its cheek and mouth up. I have been fighting this for nearly a month:-( Please let me know what you guys need from me to be able to help. Thank You.

Ohh Boy I just realized this should be in the fish health board.

I am sorry about this could a Mod please move it :-)

Afunnyone

Post by Afunnyone » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Can someone please help me post these photos? I am sure they will really help out with a diagnosis. Other than the lumps and the trouble breathing the loach is completely healthy. Sadly I don't think this will continue much longer. Any help will be highly appreciated.

clownloachfan

Post by clownloachfan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Welcome to LOL, use an image sharimg website such as photobucket to host your pics here.
ImageImage
Clowns-6 is a group and more is never too many, providing the aquarium is large enough.

Afunnyone

Post by Afunnyone » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:49 pm

Thank you I will get on this right away :-)

Here are three pics I have taken. I really hope these help.
I can't express how sad this has made me or how much I appreciate the help. Thank You...

The white line in the last pic is just a tubifex worm not the parasite.
Last edited by Afunnyone on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

clownloachfan

Post by clownloachfan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Good. Then we can diagnose the problem and help your dojo :D
ImageImage
Clowns-6 is a group and more is never too many, providing the aquarium is large enough.

Afunnyone

Post by Afunnyone » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:03 pm

I have gotten the pics uploaded hopefully :-)

Please let me know if you need anymore pics or explanation.

I have tried many medications but none of them have helped. This has been really mind boggling. Fishzole, Tank Buddies, and just started very light treatments with paraguard for my other fish as well.

clownloachfan

Post by clownloachfan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:16 pm

Hmmm, could we get a side picture? I am by no means an expert but from what I see, I would diagnose it as a bacterial infection. Perhaps the dojo injured itself while swimming crazeley by a jagged object and bacteria was introduced into its tissue that way? Another pic of his side would be helpful. As far as medication goes I would recomend pimafix or melafix or a combo of the both. Melafix is used on bacterial/fungal intrusions and pimafix on strictly fungal infections.
ImageImage

Afunnyone

Post by Afunnyone » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:30 pm

i will try to get one right away.

Afunnyone

Post by Afunnyone » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:05 pm

Here is the best one I could get sorry for the delay. I went and bought melafix and primafix :-)

clownloachfan

Post by clownloachfan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:09 am

I woult try the melafix by itself first. Maybe someone else could chime in and give a second opinion? I have to get ready for work now so don't expect a reply from me for like 13 hours haha. Its a long day
ImageImage

Afunnyone

Post by Afunnyone » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:50 am

I have been treating and treating but the loaches condition is worsening :-( I am very sad and don't have a clue about what to do next. I am very thankful for the help though my friend. I noticed the lump has expanded into its throat :-( what could cause this? my two other dojo's are fine and show no problems they are super healthy actually. one thing you can't see in the picture is that the lump at points looks as though its trying to poke through the skin actually when I first treated with melafix(I ended up using both mela and prima) these spots increase in redness and more started to protrude out of its face. I will try to explain this with pics maybe. please anymore help would be very welcomed as I have know one else to talk to about this. This fish has been my friend for a really long time :-)

Afunnyone

Post by Afunnyone » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:14 am

here is a new pic and on the right it shows the protrusions I am talking about could this be some sort of worms or parasite?

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Sorry about the problem with this Loach.
I am not sure what it is.
Have you treated with a medication for parasites? What is the active ingredient?

When I first saw the description I was thinking that it was a tumor of some sort. I do not know if tumors change and grow those red spots, though.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Afunnyone

Post by Afunnyone » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Parasite buddies contains praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metronizadole and acriflavine. and I also treated with just metro in fishzole.

I've read so much about levamisole but I don't know where to get it. Do you think this would be an option if it is parasitic? And does anyone know where to obtain it? I have been had feeding this loach everyday to make sure it eats but it isnt working anymore :-(

this is really bad as I have been preparing for finals and this has been driving me crazy. I already cant sleep lol. I'm just hoping or praying for something to go right with this situation.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:15 pm

It’s hard to tell from the pictures if this is fungal, a tumor with an additional infection of some sort, or parisitic. levamisole would be an option for a parasitic issue as well as almost any health concern; there was a good thread recently about how it isn't disease specific medication, but boosts the fish's immune function, and helps them naturally fight off infection or illness.

Keep treating with your anti-fungal/parasitic. Do good thorough gravel vacuumings to get any fungus that has fallen off of the fish out of the tank and ensure the general water quality. It would also help to clean out your filter, but making sure you don't wipe out all of your helpful bacteria in the tank; i.e. if you have two filters, clean one at a time (search the forum if you need more clarification about this).

Keep up the good work. Your fish is lucky to have such a concerned owner.
[/url]
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"