Adult Male Botia Modesta adopts Baby clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Vancmann

Adult Male Botia Modesta adopts Baby clowns

Post by Vancmann » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:22 pm

My Modesta never tolerated any fish in his cave. He would fiercely defend it form any fish in the tank. He especially hated the dominant female Clown loach(over twice his size) and would leave her marks/gashes on her sides if she tried to invade.

That is until I introduced the baby clowns. He now has totally calmed down and keeps the youngsters safe at night. Sometimes I see them swimming all around him but usually I see them lying sise by side or they sometimes rest on top of him. When he eats, he never challenges them for food like he did with the adult clowns.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:12 pm

interesting
i have found that my eos HATE any loach larger than them.
not like they enjoy anyone's company but they really dislike anything larger.
we shall see how they tolerate my large and mean Syncrossus berdmorei :roll:
drain your pool!

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:38 pm

I had the same problem with my Eos, they quite dislike any loach regardless of its size. I no longer have them but my dominant Eos always managed to overthrow my large Syncrossus berdmorei which was twice his size. Infact the Eos even went after my 10" clown loach. The large clown was out manouvered and not as fast. The only loach the Eos was cautious around was the main Modesta (twice the eos size) and only while the modesta was eating.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:08 am

Great pics Vanceman ! yeah Eos are a bit of a hand full, they're like little pit bulls ,often wondered if its down to their eyes being quite small ?

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:50 am

piggy4 wrote:Great pics Vanceman ! yeah Eos are a bit of a hand full, they're like little pit bulls ,often wondered if its down to their eyes being quite small ?
Thanks! Very interestinng and funny concept about eos.