B. Kubotai compatible dither fish?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:09 am

Katy wrote: Dave: Yeah, I really want Harlequin's but my husband thinks they are boring.
I used to think that too but I think many people suffer from only having seen them in shops. They come across as not very special, a bit common and just sort of dull. However, stick a group of them in a well planted tank and let them grow and you will never regret it!

Emma sometimes gets wild caught ones in and they have the most beautiful blue sheen on them when the light catches them right. Mine are captive bred but still quite lovely now that they're adults.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Katy

Post by Katy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:59 pm

I'll try to argue to case....

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:19 pm

palaeodave wrote:I should also mention, my girlfriend has silvertip tetras and, if you aren't bothered about them not shoaling much, they're excellent fish. Just don't keep them with anything that might be susceptible to nipping.
I had silvertips for a while, and I have never had a more aggressive tetra. The males are just terrors IMO. But they would probably not bother the kubs, just each other and similar fish.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

Rychek

Post by Rychek » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I used to keep silver tip tetras with my kubs. Never had a problem with them bothing the loaches. I've kept them with pangio oblonga as well as pangio mysersi without issues.
"If no one makes you do it, it counts a fun" --Hobbes the Tiger

"No trees were harmed in the writing of this message, however, several electrons were GREATLY inconvenienced." --Anonymous

Katy

Post by Katy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 am

Went to a pet shop an hour south of here yesterday -- what a difference! The place was small, but the woman working there knew fish!

I got 10 T. Hengeli (rasboras) -- wanted 12 but they only had 10.

Also, they had 2 of what I am pretty sure are Devario xyrops -- they were listed as Burmese spotted danios, they only had 2 left, but I figured they were alone at the store anyway, so they came home with me :)

Also got a couple of P{angio anguilaris for the Kuhli tank :) It was 2 - for - 1 on fish yesterday, too.

Question: A bunch of you have said the Harlequins are in with your Botias, but what I read says they like low-flow. Do they do ok in a high flow tank?

We had major fish-rodeo yesterday, with the Sids and Striata and Sumo moving into the main tank -- they are all having so much fun playing in the current! Will get the 40 gallon set up as soon as we get some 2 x 8s to set it on to raise the water level to the same as the 55, so we can do the water bridge.