B. Kubotai compatible dither fish?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Katy

B. Kubotai compatible dither fish?

Post by Katy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 pm

Any suggestions?

We were looking at red crystal tetras, Bolivian Rams (y better half really likes those), threadfin rainbows, among others.

Also like glass ghost cats :)

New tank is cycling, and I think our little loaches are all hyperactive just at the sound of all that water next door.

And the loach book came -- beautiful!

Thanks for all the help!

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Rams live at and near the bottom, same as B. kubs. Tetras and glass-cats similar and a little higher. Might get crowded.
Rainbows tend to be middle-top, lots of space.
Glass cats can be susceptible to "busy" tank-mates like loaches. Don't like the stress. However they do like a light current and perfect water, same as loaches and same as (most) rainbows. There's our winners, I reckon. All of these need a school of minimum 4, preferably more. Lovely.
Plants? Plants help to de-stress your fish, and you too!
Mystery snails do detritus and algae, but get the biggest ones you can or they won't be loach-resistant.
NO chinese algae eater.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Katy

Post by Katy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 pm

We've got plants, and bog wood

:)

I know our Kubotai are supposed to hang on the bottm, but they are pretty much all over, all the time. Since they are supposed to be nocturnal, we are MOST curious what kind of crazy parties they are having when we go to bed!

Katy

Post by Katy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:37 pm

Espei rasboras?

Golden longfin danios?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:52 am

Threadfin Rainbows are a bit too delicate, better in a species tank.
Glass cats could work. Mine (several years ago) spent most of their time right under the outlet from the filter, in formation.
I think I would aim for a more traditional schooling species, Harlequin Rasboras, Ruby Barbs (not Tigers), or similar fish.
A single specimen for the upper area would be nice, too. Perhaps a Betta or a Gourami?

What size is the tank?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sharkscott2

Post by Sharkscott2 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 pm

I have Kubotais in two of my tanks with the following mid-top swimming species.

Arulius Barb
Hengeli Rasbora
Harlequin Rasbora
Pentazoa Barb
Celestial Peral Danio
Pearl Gourami

My larger Kubs are with the Arulius Barbs, I wouldn't say these barbs are aggressive towards other fish (I've never seen a mark on my Gouramies) but they attack food in an aggressive way and will push smaller fish aside and speed recklessly around the tank.

Katy

Post by Katy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Now we are looking at :

Devario xyrops
Glowlight danio
Sarawak Blueline Rasbora
Serpae tetra

Otocinclus (not as dithers, just a few other fish)

Thoughts?

Current thoughts for the Kuhli tank are red cherry shrimp, microrasbora or maybe (???) clown killies?

First bath of Kubs moved into the big tank today, and seem to be really enjoying it! It is amazing how big they have grown in just a few weeks!

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:01 am

I have mine with cardinal tetras, black neons, giant danios, black phantom tetras, and black ruby barbs. No problem whatsoever. I'd be worried about anything with threadfins, though. May look too much like worms!
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Serpae Tetras are known nippers. If you like the shape and color, look into Red Phantoms instead.

Happy fish keeping!

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:23 pm

The Sarawak Blueline Rasbora are listed on fishbase (http://www.fishbase.us/Summary/speciesS ... ng=English) as Benthopelagic which means that they hang out near the bottom. I don't know if this is true or not, but it may be relevant to your decision. I just ordered some from Frank's so I will find out.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm going to weigh in as a massive fan of harlequin rasboras. Seriously, a better dither fish there is not! Most people think of them as those unimpressive, slightly boring fish you see in almost ever fish shop. Most people haven't seen a shoal of fully grown adults. They are wonderfully behaved, never lower than two inches above the substrate, shoal closely and are very active.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:55 pm

I should also mention, my girlfriend has silvertip tetras and, if you aren't bothered about them not shoaling much, they're excellent fish. Just don't keep them with anything that might be susceptible to nipping.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Katy

Post by Katy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:49 am

Thanks for all the advice.

Keith: Frank isn't shipping now, so guess I'll have to wait on the Blueline Rasbora update :)

Dave: Yeah, I really want Harlequin's but my husband thinks they are boring.

Serpae's are now off the list

How about Diamond Tetras?

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:36 pm

I have kept Diamond Tetras with warm water fish such as Discus. They stay higher up in the tank (mid to upper level) and are pretty active, though not as frantic as Danios.
The colors flash as the light reflects from their sparkly surface.

They are almost impossible to catch, though. I had to drain the tank when I wanted to move them!

Happy fish keeping!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:34 pm

I keep mine with Praecox (dwarf neon) Rainbows and they do well toegether.