New Additions:> Cobitis or Lepidocephalichthys?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

soul-hugger

New Additions:> Cobitis or Lepidocephalichthys?

Post by soul-hugger » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello:>

It's been a long time since I posted on this forum, and I just realized how much I have missed it! It's good to be back.

I was wondering if there are any major differences between Cobitis and Lepidocephalichthys species that can be used for ID.

Twice in the last two weeks, I have seen Loaches listed as "Laser Loaches" in LFS. Unfortunately, both batches have had ich. With the first batch, they were obviously a Schistura-type, and the staff asked me to come back in a week to see if they had recovered. Sadly, only one of the three remained, and even this one did not look like his chances were good. This weekend, I was excited to find more fish labeled as Laser Loaches. I could see right away they were not the same fish as the ones I had seen the week before. They look like some sort of a Peppered Loach. I had them bag three of them for me, but was dismayed to discover these also had ich, which I could not see until they were in the bag. Since the staff is familiar with my boyfriend and me, they gave us the option of buying them or, again, returning in a week. I decided to take my chances and treat them in QT at home. Since opportunities like this don't come around often where I live, I didn't want to lose them again!

I have been looking in the species index to see if I can find an ID. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera to take pictures, but if I manage to borrow one, I will post some. At first I thought for sure they were Lepidocephalichthys Berdmorei, but after I got looking, I have found the look of these is very similar to Cobitis Granoie and a few others.

These beautiful little fish are about 3 inches long. They have a golden upper body colour, and a white lower body and belly. The enitre upper body is covered with brown blotches and spots, with the spots on the top of the fish from behind the head to the caudal peduncle being larger. Above the lateral line, there is a smattering of irregular dark brown flecks and spots that are fine and thin. Below the lateral line is a straight row of larger and very distinct rectangular brown blotches, and a few tiny flecks below. The shape is elongated but not thin, and there is distinct striping on both the dorsal and the tail. The face is a shorter face, with short barbels, and the head is covered in tiny round spots. There is a faint brown stripe running from the mouth to the eye but not through it. Sorry about the lack of pictures, which would make ID much easier.

Presently they are in QT being treated for ich. Even though they seem to be quite reclusive for most of the day, they are eating well and their gills are looking less inflamed than they did at first. They are also breathing more regularly. It looks like their chances for recovery are good, and I sure hope they make it!

I would be open to any suggestions as to what these might be, as well as hearing from anyone who owns these types of Loaches.

Thanks very much..,
soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any major differences between Cobitis and Lepidocephalichthys species that can be used for ID.
the male of cobitis have the second ray of the pectoral fin thickened, at Lepidocephalichthys it is the last ray.

Thomas

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi, Thomas..,

The information you gave me was sweet and simple! With this tip, it was very easy to differentiate them. Of the three I have, at least two of them are males. The last ray is thickened, so they must be Lepidocephalicthys, probably Berdmorei.

Tahnks very much for your help:)
soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Soul,

Yes, it is nice to have this simple sexual dimorphism.

Pics please, pics please... :D