Tank water for plants?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

JonGuerriero

Tank water for plants?

Post by JonGuerriero » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:26 am

Would it be a good idea to use the tank water from water changes for plants around the house? I would think so, isn't the water "fertilized" by the fish?

Thanks

JD

Post by JD » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:30 am

Yes it is a good idea. I regularlly do that. Expecially all the mulm I pull up from the gravel, seems to give the plants a nice boost. I also have plants in my tanks, and I fertilize them regularlly, so there is a little more in my water. Keep in mind, the primary nutirent that will be present is nitrate, and that is only the nitrogen portion of the NPK. Phospherous and potasium are generally absent from the average tank. But it will also provide other minerals and traces.

JD

shari

Post by shari » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:56 pm

I do it too ;-)

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Me too! Much better than chlorinated water. Momfish has a jungle powered by "fish poo water" (her term). Used to bury small dead fish in the pots too. Excellent fertilizer.

Now there's no tanks there, I have to do water deliveries from my place after water changes.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

JonGuerriero

Post by JonGuerriero » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. It made sense that the tank water would be great for plants. My live in g/f has so many plants, so this should work ok pretty good.