Finally, a larger tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mellofone

Finally, a larger tank

Post by mellofone » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:07 pm

I've been a lurker and reader here for years and really enjoy not only the posts but the gobs of free information. Thanks to all.

I finally put together the resources to upgrade to a 75G tank. It just finished the Cycle (thanks Stability and old filter media) and have finally moved what is left of my clown herd into it. I used to have 4, but due to a recent vacation-power-outage problem, I am down to two.

Once these fish acclimate themselves, and the tank to them, I plan on adding some more clowns. I currently have just the two clowns and 5 tiger barbs. Can anyone suggest any other dither fish to go along with the clowns and barbs?

I plan to use this tank for a few years until our basement remodel is complete. At that point, I want to upgrade to a larger tank, something over 200 gallons. I'd rather not put something that large upstairs and worry about structural instability! :)

Here are the pictures: http://gallery.oddprocess.org/v/2009/75g_aquarium/

Please don't laugh at the Pirate Ship. It's my daugher's favorite part, and really, the clowns love to hide inside. I'm working on getting some better pictures of the fish themselves, but I'm having problems getting decent photos.

It is currently running a Fluval FX5 and I have to say I honestly love it. It's so easy to use and clean, it's super quiet, and wow, I never knew clowns loved the current so much! I also have a small Eheim aquaball doing a bit of extra polishing, as well as adding some extra agitation to the one side.

Please, any comments, good or bad, are welcome.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:00 pm

Nice pictures and congrats on your new tank.

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Thats great! Really any relatively active schooling fish can be used as a dither fish i think, although depending on the size of your clowns you may not want smaller ones because they might get eaten. I'm not surprised that your clowns enjoy the surrent, tho; almost all (if not all) loaches come from rivers or streams with a good amount of water flow, so prettymuch all loaches will relish swimming in a fast current from a filter or powerhead. In fact, I once had a yoyo loach that loved current so much he swam right up-stream into my HOB filter through the outflow!!! I almost had a heart attack when I couldnt find him in the morning :lol:
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys