Good companions for older yoyos?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Leanne

Good companions for older yoyos?

Post by Leanne » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Heya folks,

Man, I haven't been here in several years. The (new-to-me) forum looks very nice!

On to the question! I have a 50-gallon tank that currently contains five very happy and healthy 9-year-old yoyo loaches, and a couple of candystripe plecos. None of the other tank members have been so long-lived, and so now I am out of dither fish, and my loaches are hiding more often than not.

I would like to find my yoyos some new friends. What would be a good choice? I have had recommended to me so far: blue gourami, bala sharks, giant danios, and tiger barbs. I'd like to avoid the tiger barbs, as I've had them before, and they're just *too* squabbly for my taste. I'm thinking gourami may get nipped, so bala sharks or giant danios might be a good idea.

Are there any other fishes that might be good? My yoyos range from almost 7" to about 3".

Thanks much!

saint_dracula

Post by saint_dracula » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Anaspidoglanis Macrostoma
Black Lancer Catfish
Corydoras Seussi (i have some big ones)
flagtail catfish

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:40 pm

I would not want fish larger than about 4-6" in a 50 gallon tank, so Bala Sharks are out.

Many species of Rainbow fish make very good dithers. They are highly active, but not frantic. A school of half a dozen of one species, (there are quite a few species that reach about 3-5"), chosen to match the water parameters would be nice.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Leanne

Post by Leanne » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: the catfish -- wouldn't they take up the same general space as the loaches? Since my loaches are older, they tend to spend a lot of time down on the bottom of the tank. I absolutely love corydoras -- I have another tank full of cories and khulis, so I wouldn't object to more catfish on principle, just don't want trouble in the tank. It's not a super-long tank; only 4 feet long.

We had rainbowfish before -- dwarf neon rainbows -- and they were fantastic fish. Perhaps I will get some more, thanks for the reminder. (:

Thanks much for the input! Any other ideas out there?

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 am

You are right about Cats. Most are bottom dwellers. I would add upper level fish and leave the bottom areas for the Yoyos.
Other than Rainbows, look into the larger Tetras and mid-sized Barbs. Research which will handle the temperature and water chemistry of the tank.
Diamond Tetras, Bleeding Hearts are taller fish, not likely to get eaten. (I had juvenile Yoyos take out a school of almost adult sized Neon Tetras)

Puntius denisonii
Puntius nigrofasciatus (get mature ones- they do not grow very big- barely big enough not to get eaten)
Puntius everetti- Clown Barb might be really nice- not too big, and handles warmer water.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Leanne

Post by Leanne » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanks again! I'll look around and see what I can find. The suggestions have been really helpful. :D