Y. splendida shoal

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mike Ophir

Y. splendida shoal

Post by Mike Ophir » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:23 am

Hi guys,

I had previously bought 6 Y. splendida, and now I have just bought another 4 specimens to compliment my original shoal. Has anyone kept them in large numbers such as 10-12? Does their behavior change?

I am keeping them witih 3 Y. caudipunctata and 1 Y. eos. in a 90 gallon

Mike
A proud member of LOL since 1998

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:02 pm

I can't help with your questions, but please post some pictures. It must be amazing to have such a group.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:45 am

I can only go off the experiences I have had with my 9 splendida Mike and although there was quite a bit of aggro amongst them to start off with they have really quietened down now and seem very peaceful with each other and the danios that are in the tank, I considered adding a group of 5 skunks to the tank a few weeks ago but didn't want to risk kick starting any aggression :)

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks Mark, I will keep you guys updated and will provide photos as soon as possible....

Mike

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Mon May 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Mike, do you have an update on your Yasuhikotakia splendida?
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

Mike Ophir

Re: Y. splendida shoal

Post by Mike Ophir » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Sorry for the delay,

The splendida are doing great. I forget when exactly I bought them but I have a nice group of what I think is 10 specimens in a 90 gallon tank....as I "think" because I only see 6 at a time but know for sure there is more than that, the others are more docile. They seem to get on fine with the caudipunctata and eos and lecontei, although they seem to be harrassing the more peaceful striata and dario. They are def subjugated by the caudipunctata. I am considering setting up another tank for more caudipunctata, splendida and longidorsalis (when/if I found some).

Mike O.

piggy4

Re: Y. splendida shoal

Post by piggy4 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi Mike , sound a great collection of loaches ,a good number of years ago I had a similar tank Eos ,Cuadipunctatus , Yellow tailed Modesta's , Leconte's and some S.beauforti and though I didn't have Striata's I had a few Dario , and I agree the Thai fish were too strong for the Dario :( !