kuhli loach price/availability

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Donna

kuhli loach price/availability

Post by Donna » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:43 am

When I bought the six kuhlis I have in the tank here at work, they were $14.99 each. I kid you not. But I immediately and excitedly bought all six, with noplace to put them, and had the pet store hang onto them for me for two weeks. (They also greet me by name when I walk in; sometimes I think I should just have my paycheck Direct Deposited there and save us all a lot of hassle.)
These are striped kuhlis, and I hadn't seen them available before, and haven't since, at that LFS or anywhere -- just solid black ones.
What's up? When I had them as a kid they were everywhere, and within my meager allowance.
These six were, of course, worth every penny -- and I would have cheerfully paid double.
Carpe Didelphis!

Rychek

Post by Rychek » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 am

Wow... just wow. We've got both striped and black Kuhlis (pangio myersi and pangio oblonga) here in San Antonio for $1.99 each. I've never seen them cost more than $2.99 down here. However, they are worth every penny if you have to pay more.
"If no one makes you do it, it counts a fun" --Hobbes the Tiger

"No trees were harmed in the writing of this message, however, several electrons were GREATLY inconvenienced." --Anonymous

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:35 am

They seem seasonal, here, but reasonably priced when they are available. $3-$5 depending on species and size.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Donna

Post by Donna » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Whew, good to know I'm not developing Alzheimer's. That's about what I remember them being thirty years ago (no wisecracks, please.)

Simple mathematics (my favorite type) says at $1.99 each, for that $89 I could have gotten 45 kuhlis (x 3 inches per loach = I'd need a 150 gallon tank!)
Carpe Didelphis!

Rychek

Post by Rychek » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Kuhlis are defenitely seasonal here. When it starts getting hot, the availability drops off. It doesn't always disappear, but the number in the lfs tanks are fewer.
"If no one makes you do it, it counts a fun" --Hobbes the Tiger

"No trees were harmed in the writing of this message, however, several electrons were GREATLY inconvenienced." --Anonymous

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:39 am

Striped kuhlis are about $2.50 a piece here in Central PA.

I've been told here at Loaches that the 'inch per gallon rule' doesn't apply to kuhlis. I keep around 25 of them in my 3ft 30 gallon. I'm probably pushing the limits, but the tank is heavily planted with only shrimp and a few pygmy cories as tankmates. I'm considering moving the kuhlis to my 75 gallon.
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 am

I was thinking about the price that you paid for your kuhlis. I probably purchased 3x as many kuhlis as I own now, only to have most of them die during the quarantine period.

I think you got a good deal. :)
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

Donna

Post by Donna » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:28 am

One of the two LFS said they won't carry them anymore, they're "too fragile." These were worth the price, healthy and happy. The other LFS, the one where I got them, hasn't gotten any more in, striped or plain black.
Carpe Didelphis!

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:10 pm

The stripped Kuhli's I purchased yesterday were 3/$12 or $4.99/ea.

If I had wanted more then 3 but less then the 6 they had left, the clerk would sell them to me at the $3.99 price. I want to see how these three handle their new tank before I liberate the last three.
Kuhli Loaches are like Pringles... you can't have just one!

TrebleClef84

Post by TrebleClef84 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Striped Kuhli's here usually run about $2.99 a piece.

Canyoncarver

Post by Canyoncarver » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:42 pm

The Petsmart in my local town sells only the black kuhlies. I asked them about banded kuhlies and they stated they didn't sell as well as the black so they don't carry them anymore. She also said the store in the neighboring town (160 miles) has the exact opposite thing and only carry the banded kuhlies. I know it sounds ridiculous but I am contemplating heading over to pick a couple up. With my luck the Petsmart employee was making it up.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Canyoncarver wrote:The Petsmart in my local town sells only the black kuhlies. I asked them about banded kuhlies and they stated they didn't sell as well as the black so they don't carry them anymore. She also said the store in the neighboring town (160 miles) has the exact opposite thing and only carry the banded kuhlies. I know it sounds ridiculous but I am contemplating heading over to pick a couple up. With my luck the Petsmart employee was making it up.
Call the other shop before you go and check that they have them in stock. If not, just ask them to order some for you.

mr moto

Post by mr moto » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 pm

I wish I could find any at all so I could tell you a price. Haven't seen any with stripes in this town for several years.

Donna

Post by Donna » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:19 am

Here's one of my guys who was out and about this morning. I just love his stylish stripes and cute little barbels! ("Smitten." The word you're looking for is "smitten.")
Carpe Didelphis!

55gal

Post by 55gal » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:53 pm

I believe they hide mostly during the day and come out at night.
I had a hard time choosing between the kuhlis and the Botia kubotai that
I bought 6 of recently. (Love them)
6 polkadot loaches, 6 blood fin tetras, 7 white cloud mtn. minnows, 3 gold barbs, 1 flying fox, and 1 pleco munching up my algae. oh yea i am expiermenting with sanils, humm.