tank disaster of 2010

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:03 pm

I live close enough to visit AF often. I don't, because every visit costs me more money. Very impressive!

I put Styrofoam under my tanks. I get 1/2" thick 2' x 4' sheets at Home Depot in the insulation department and cut to size. For a tank that needs more than 4' long I use a little duct tape to hold the Styrofoam together while we lift the tank into place.
If the surface under the tank would be OK with some tape then a few small rolls of tape will hold the Styrofoam in place while you adjust the tank.

I do not like the look of it showing from under the front rim, though, so I added some black tape to it to try to camouflage it. Results not all that great, but better than glaring white!

The next think I am going to try is some thick rubber sort of stuff, perhaps EDPM, pond liner. Maybe a truck liner sort of product. Not the hard plastic... there is a truck accessory store near me that had something that looked like pond liner, but maybe a bit thicker. Sold on a roll. Black, so it will look better, IMO.

No goldfish bowls for me! And, no, the tanks are not strapped to anything. My son said that if we ever have an earthquake or fire all we have to worry about is the resulting flood!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

glenna

Re: tank disaster of 2010

Post by glenna » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:57 pm

one year later.

Well, as detailed above, that was New Years activity LAST YEAR.

Here are a couple pics of the tank since then (the NEW tank, that is).
AS you can see, I am STILL not very good with this camera, and STILL have a lot to learn about taking care of my fish (and STILL losing the battle against algae!!)
Even so, I was just sitting here on New Years day, thinking about all I have to be thankful for. My fish tanks are such a great source of joy.
I am also very thankful to all of you at LOL who have given advise, and tirelessly answered the SAME QUESTIONS over and over again from those less experienced. If it were not for this site and forum, I woud have given up a long time ago.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!!!
glenna

glenna

Post by glenna » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:01 pm

oh yeah, the pics

glenna

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:45 am

Your tank looks great! When I first saw this thread I thought "oh no, not again" until I saw the date, lol. Happy New Year!

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Glenna, your tank looks really nice. I like the plants above it on either side.

SondraT

Post by SondraT » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:19 am

Wow, Glenna! Just wanted to say I think your tank is beautiful! Love the art work and how it's framed by the plants above the tank! I also like the fish sculpture on the bookshelf with the fish swimming out of the end :D

cloudhands

Post by cloudhands » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Yes, Glenna, it does look great!

You may remember we also had a tank disaster last early January. Katie says it was the 4th. Has she posted about this years?

It was January 5th, this time. I had been in my office working. Katie called me, and I walked out of my office with the phone, to hear a tank making louder water-splash sounds than it should. It was a 45 gallon tank, with about 30 or so gallons in it. It had been full a couple of hours ago.

We found this tank at the dump. Free. I had to go through a few sessions and a whole tube of aquarium silicone to get it to not leak. It was hard, but eventually it didn't leak.

We moved the kuhlis out of a 20 into this 45, and also put in nano-fish and shrimp. It was (is) the small and peaceful soft-warm-water tank. The shrimp seem to do OK in spite of the soft water. It's also full of Celestial Pearl Danios that we bred last year (which also do OK though they might prefer harder water), and also some Clown Killies I bred. There are a handful of Chilli Raspboras. The 45 was nice and high, and these little fish and plants filled the water column very beautifully.

But no longer. I had to stop everything I was doing and drain it. Fish and water into a big bucket with a heater, all the plants and rocks and gravel, and all of it. A major job. Luckily we had an empty 30 gallon tank in a closet. The 30 is not as nice; not as tall. Keeping an eye out for another 45, but this time not from the dump.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Sorry to hear it.