tank disaster of 2010

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

glenna

tank disaster of 2010

Post by glenna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:02 am

Well, as some of you know I set up a new 125 gallon in the living room and was is the process of fishless cycling and waiting on my plant order.
I awoke yesterday am about 3:30 to the sound of splashing water in the living room. Went in there to find water squirting out of the bottom rim (black plastic around the bottom on the front) and soaking the carpet at a rapid rate.
I had no choice but to run around like a mad woman and empty the tank. Even when it was only wet fluorite, it continued to leak, so I scraped it COMPLETELY out and can really find nothing....no crack, NOTHING.
I had it professionally installed (since I live by myself and cannot lift such a thing . I would normally have done it myself). In this case it was good that I had it done professionally, becasue they are coming to REDO everything (at least that what they said so far...)
The guy said that sometimes there will be a faulty seal - this this is very rafe, but has happened - even to him.

Very sad, very soggy.
Happy NEw Year

well, to frame things in a better light:
-at least I was home to catch it before all 125 gallons plus sump contents ended up on the floor
-no fish died in the process
- I was only on call for work so was able to DEAL with most of the mess

I know it could have been a LOT worse.

Now , to start over
I am a bit nervous if there is anything to do to PREVENT this type of thing again, but it seems it was a freak accident (welll, I was certainly FREAKING OUT!!!!)
glenna

Katy

Post by Katy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:06 am

Oh dear!

I am so glad, though, that if it was going to happen it happened before any fish were in the tank!

I certainly hope your New Year only gets better from here!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:14 am

The good thing is that this IS a really rare occurence. It must have just been a manufacturing fault. It's lucky the installation was done professionally because at least you ARE covered.

There's a million ways this could have been a whole lot worse. Sure, this puts your schedule out a bit, but it will all be worth it when the tank is up and running properly with your new pets giving you enjoyment.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:07 am

You seem to have a great attitude glenna for having been through all that! So now that's behind you, hope things go better. I considered going acrylic for fear of the same thing happening in my second floor apt., but just don;t like the look of it. Best of luck going forward!

glenna

thanks

Post by glenna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks for all the support!
I am actually feeling better Today. The tank installer/owner of the shop is coming by this afternoon to take a look, pick up the tank, etc.
Now that I am over the initial disappointment, I do realize that this is just setback. I have become a pretty patient person over the years (in the past I was NOT patient at all)... a trait that comes in handy in a BIG way with this hobby!
Will post again with round two, hopefully in a few weeks
glenna

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:15 pm

That's a bummer. Best thing I know of is to have a few stacks of old bath towels near by.

Donna

Post by Donna » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:54 am

Not the best way to wake up! :shock:
I've had slow leaks, nothing as dramatic as your disaster, but I still had to tear the whole thing down, fish and all, and re-seal the corners. Now that I have a real job, I got my first acrylic tank. Another big plus is nobody can hide in the corners.
Carpe Didelphis!

glenna

Post by glenna » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:54 pm

I will have to look into the acrylic.
OF course, they have already ordered my replacement tank, in glass. This is fine with me, but I am thinking outside the idea that it was a faulty seal.
I had been reading about putting styrofoam under the tank to provide some flex, and then chefkeith also mentioed that after the SECOND big tank leak of 2010 (wow, two in 4 days) with KAty and cloudhand's tank.
Anyway, we'll see what happens.

At this point, my house is a wreck....carpet pulled up, all the pad removed, dehumidifier trying to dry the subfloor.

I REALLY !!!!! do not want this to happen again!!
glenna

Katy

Post by Katy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:12 am

glenna wrote:
I REALLY !!!!! do not want this to happen again!!
Amen!

We were talking about whether the temp alarm would have alerted us sooner -- I had had one in my cart in Drs F+S last week, but took it out before placing my order (we had been having trouble with the heater in the q-tank) because it seemed expensive. But if it would have alerted us when the water level dropped, it would have been priceless!

Of, course, your seemed to be a much faster leak than ours!

Best of luck with your clean up!

cloudhands

Post by cloudhands » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:05 am

I was also thinking about earthquakes this morning. It seems possible that a quake that wouldn't really cause much damage in general could cause some tanks to pop. I'd never really thought about that before. I wonder if fishkeeping is more constrained, or restrained, in seismic hotspots. Goldfish bowls rather than 5 ft long 120 gallon loach tanks.

glenna

earhtquakes

Post by glenna » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:40 pm

I was in the BAy area this Thanksgiving and saw some BIG and beautiful tanks there in a store called Aquaforest, plus know of people in the earthquake zone who do this with many, and large tanks.

I KNOW there is a solution to the flex versus stability issue and am going with the thicker styrofoam support idea at this point. Not sure what kind, or where to get it, but I am still reading.
I am in a little of a "middle position" in that I do not have the physical ability to set this tank up by myself, and the fish store people are redoing everything. These folks have almost 20 years experience doing exactly this, and I respect their experience and knowledge. However, I really want them to think through all the possibilities and am hoping they are going to be open about the idea.
I have been nothing but impressed with them (of course, until my tank blew!!!!)
I really do think that sometimes bad things happen despite all our efforts and the lesson is just to get through it.
We'll see how both of our Tank disaster remake efforts play out!!
glenna

Katy

Post by Katy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Great attitude!

And I looked at that Aquaforest site online a while back :shock: WOW! (there should be a drool emoticon!)

When is your new one going to be set up?

glenna

aquaforest

Post by glenna » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Yes, if you are ever in S.F. you have got to go to Aquaforest.
It is not a big, or impressive place. Right near to Japan town and in an old Victorian, I think.
Despite the size of the store, it is a very awe-inspiring place.
Each display tank is a miniature aqua world in a beautiful, pristine, rimless tank that is all high tech and amazing. Even the tiny little nanotanks make you wish you could shrink yourself and breath water.
There is not a touch of algae in the fish sales tanks, and lots of plants available.
Of course, this is all relative. I am in rural North Carolina, so I am thrilled to not see fish in a Petsmart.
I am not a totally pristine, or high tech sort of person, but truly appreciated what I saw there.
I have decided to get over my tank disaster as best I can. Of course this is easier, since I did not lose any cherished fish.
Anyway, it is done.
Let's see what happens next!!!
glenna

glenna

Post by glenna » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 pm

oh, and they are getting my new tank delivered to the store tomorrow. Hopefully in my house in the next week!
I think I will wake up for weeks to the sound (real or imaginary) of splashing water!)...the joy of being an insomniac!
glenna

Katy

Post by Katy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:12 pm

You have such a resilient attitude! I am impressed! Will be waiting for updates!

And how is Larry?