alpha clown loach biting

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cider

alpha clown loach biting

Post by cider » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:36 am

hi everyone,
I have a 54g tank with 2 clown loaches , one common plec, 8 platys, 2 female dwarf blue gourami and 2 zebra danios. The clowns have been in the tank since Halloween, hence their names, Hocus and Pocus. The smaller of the two is the alpha and has been keeping the other one from coming out of the hidey areas too much, but this week I noticed bite marks on the meek one's tail. I wonder how to handle this , knowing I can't update the tank size yet and the common plec stays , I'm not sure I can fit another clown, and would that even help the situation,anyway? As you can see, I am stuck and don't know what to do , just ride it out and do nothing seems unfair. Any suggestions feesible to my situation? Any replies would be appreciated, I love these guys :!:
*note-feedings are once daily
high quality flakes
Hikari vege tabs

twice a week -dry shrimp
once a week - chopped pcs of cooked shrimp
every other day- fresh veggies ,ie: zucchini, red pepper, brocalli , etc
water -all fine
filters-HOT magnum-hob , penguin/bio-wheel , two hydra-sponge filters
cider

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 pm

I think you need to get at least another 2 clowns, another 3 would be even better, I can't think of anything else to resolve this situation, I know that clowns get on a lot better in a group.

Val

millsn

Post by millsn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm

You need more loaches. I had the same problem when I lost mine to skinny before I knew what the treatment was. I had only three left and the dominant clown used to beat up the other two. I know have some other clowns a similar size to him/her and this behaviour has gone for a far more social demeanour.

Might also be worth considering how much flow you've got in the tank as that keeps them busier. Depends on their tank mates liking to high flows I suppose

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Well you need at least three more clowns... the problem, however, is that your tank is not large enough to accommodate such a group of loaches.

cider

thanks to everyone who answered

Post by cider » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:55 am

It is obvious the homework I did prior to purchasing them was not accurate and the salesguy said two would be fine...of course he would say that, it's his job! ( no worries for him that problems could arise). Well I got them and I love them and I'll have to hope it dosen't become worse till I can upgrade... gonna be a while, though.
thanks for your willingness to help understand the situation.
Cider
cider