housing for loaches.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lunasmile

housing for loaches.

Post by lunasmile » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:06 pm

what is the best set up in the tank for clown loaches.In a small 37 gallon tank, with three clown loaches...

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:02 pm

First off, you'll need a bigger tank. Aim for a 75 or larger for clown loaches. In a couple of years, you'll see that they need much more room than 37 gallons. They can live for decades if you treat them right, and they will reach over a foot in length.

With all loaches, aim for a tank with the maximum "footprint" - that's the surface area of the bottom. A tank that is unnecessarily tall is not right for loaches. Provide small grade gravel or sand for the substrate, and numerous sheltered areas where they can be in the dark. I find that wood works well - look for pieces that are wide and flat, and prop them up at a corner with a rock or something. Loaches are quite happy to lie horizontally if it means they can fit into a safe sheltered area.

Think of live plants as well. This kind of set up suits many different loach species, particularly Botias and Kuhlis. Avoid things that the loaches would not encounter in the wild.

Clown loaches are sold everywhere at the deceptively tiny size of one or two inches. Like a lot of aquarium species, you need to be prepared for their growth - it is unavoidable. They may not be the ideal species for that size of tank.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

lunasmile

Post by lunasmile » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:12 am

thanks, I probably will be moving to a bigger house in the next 6 months, I will upgrade my tank for a 90 gallon one, we love fish, I have two tanks , but they are both very small. my clown loaches are probably 2.5 inches, they are growing , plus they are really fat. thanks for your advice...victoria.