Interesting kub behavior

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bslindgren

Interesting kub behavior

Post by bslindgren » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:46 pm

I have one kub that likes to exhibit a sticking-like-s**t-to-a-blanket behaviors. It generally swims right next to a clown loach - size doesn't seem to intimidate it at all - or less commonly a zebra loach just behind the head, and then it's almost like it's attached. After a few seconds the 'victim' generally manages to dive into vegetation or among roots to shake the pesky kub off. I haven't seen any evidence of injury. I'm not sure, but I think this is only exhibited by one individual. Has anyone else seen this? My dominant clown loach does something similar to the other clown loaches, but it's not as intense, and seems more like a dominance behavior. I think the same kub also sometimes chases giant danios - it looks more like a chase, possibly because it has a harder time keeping up.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:24 pm

I have had several fish do this to my medium/large clowns, including my kubs. it primarily has been younger yoyos and kubotai. the young clowns will do a similar, but less pestering version of this behavior that the older clowns tolerate. the young clowns seem to understand their place in the heirarchy while the other species dont'?
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Sounds like what's called "ghosting". My sids used to do it to a large SAE sometimes.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:47 am

Ghosting would be a good description. Does anybody know why they do it? It seems to happen at feeding time mostly.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?