breeder of Asian Clown Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

john white wolf

breeder of Asian Clown Loach

Post by john white wolf » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I would love to breed the Asian Clown Loach and not hear (can not be done or never heard anyone that has done it)Well! I am here to learn how and reaching out in asking please give me your advice in how.. I am looking for people who have succecfuly breed this nice looking fish.
Are their any out there?

jjjwhitewolf@yahoo.com

aka/ Freshwater Angelfish breeder

John in S.W.Florida
John Jarvis

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:29 pm

FWIW:

Do a search on Google using "how to breed the Clown Loach".

There are a few good web pages that discuss this.

I doubt that the breeders of the exported clowns will ever tell how they get the job done. :(
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:04 am

Haven't got anything constructive to say, other that good luck. I truly hope you succeed.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:32 am

Asian (IE: the long monstrous one from cooler water) or Indonesian/Bornean (the "regular" one, also large)
?

I'm not sure if the cool-water monster is very common in the industry. There was a guy here a couple of months ago who had found a few and was going to breed them. Highly endangered, apparently.

The regular one requires either a) hormone therapy or b) a huge riparian system that you can flood seasonally.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:02 pm

"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

millsn

Post by millsn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:57 pm

There was an article years ago where someone claimed to have bred them. He reckoned he'd lef the tank for ages without a water change. His filters were working ok but the nitrates and salt levels were raised. He reckoned that he had simulated the dry spell and once he changed the water (reduced salts and lower temperature) it triggered spawning. I wouldn't know how to find the article but I recall it was from Practical Fishkeeping magazine from the UK.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:08 pm

I wouldn't know how to find the article but I recall it was from Practical Fishkeeping magazine from the UK.
The article is (in)famous in long-term loach-keeper's-circles due to its totally unsubstantiated nature.

People really need to search all the info we have available on LOL.

http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-l ... ated-items

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

dkarc

Post by dkarc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:14 pm

If you are speaking of regular clown loaches then it has been done here in the US for a few years now. The University of FL was the first to successfully develop a commercialized protocol for production. It involves the use of hormone injection and hand stripping the fish for eggs/sperm. Quite involved process, but highly successful if done right.

-Ryan

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:26 am

Ryan,
I'd love to know more about this- do you know the reference?
There are a couple of Koi and Iridescent shark breeders/producers on the island, so the basic materials and know-how are available.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

dkarc

Post by dkarc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am

andyroo wrote:Ryan,
I'd love to know more about this- do you know the reference?
There are a couple of Koi and Iridescent shark breeders/producers on the island, so the basic materials and know-how are available.
A
I know the reference/source very well...I worked with them this past year as an intern/grant worker. I did not do clown loaches in specific, but we did work on various other species (green spotted puffers, fire eels, RTC, and a few others). The process is very straight forward with pretty much any fish. Getting fertile eggs is the relatively easy part. Much like breeding any fish, raising the fry to sellable size is the challenge. Unfortunetly UF has not (and most likely will not) publish the protocol. The farm, UF Tropical Aquaculture Lab, exists to serve the FL fish farmers. The farmers tell UF what fish they want to figure out how to spawn and they do it. That info is passed on to the local farmers so they can start breeding and have the ability to compete with imports (wild and asian). Granted I am making it sound easier than it really is...
Here is their website, which by the way is an extremely good reference site for pretty much all things aquaculture (look in "publications" section).
http://tal.ifas.ufl.edu/index.htm

-Ryan

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Brilliant!
One of my academic advisors is at U-Miami, so I may see what madness may be uncovered. I'll also check with the local university (UWI) and Min. of Agriculture.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Patents for the process for commercially breeding Clowns were applied for on 2-4-2008 by a joint venture between BRKP & Institut De Recherch.
BRKP is the Indonesian Ministry of Marine Affairs and Institut De Recherch is a French Company that specializes in aquatic research.
It took them 2 years to do the research and prove their process before applying for Patents. The Researchers were M.Legendre - L.Poudard - S.Darti - S.Ketut and Jacques Slembrouk.
I went to Aquarama in Singapore in June this year were they were trying to sell this process to the Fish production companys there.
Here is a picture of some of the fish they had on display at Aquarama.
[img][img]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa14 ... C_2040.jpg[/img]
Cheers Graeme.[/img]
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

dkarc

Post by dkarc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:44 am

Graeme McKellar wrote:Patents for the process for commercially breeding Clowns were applied for on 2-4-2008 by a joint venture between BRKP & Institut De Recherch.
BRKP is the Indonesian Ministry of Marine Affairs and Institut De Recherch is a French Company that specializes in aquatic research.
It took them 2 years to do the research and prove their process before applying for Patents. The Researchers were M.Legendre - L.Poudard - S.Darti - S.Ketut and Jacques Slembrouk.
I went to Aquarama in Singapore in June this year were they were trying to sell this process to the Fish production companys there.
Here is a picture of some of the fish they had on display at Aquarama.
[img][img]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa14 ... C_2040.jpg[/img]'
Cheers Graeme.[/img]
Not sure if international patents would apply, but UF started breeding the clown loach 5+ years ago....

-Ryan