Indian almond leaf

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bookpage

Indian almond leaf

Post by bookpage » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Read about these in another post and wanted to find out how many use these leaves in their loach tanks.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 am

hi bookpage
round here: most young, engaged aquarists, specially the ones with shrimps in small tanks. older aquarists from the kilifish-fraction, catfish-breeders of all kind. etc. too expensive for my quantities. I take oak and others, alder-cones, dried african banana skin. there are some infos about the working of leaves. in german.
cheers charles

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:23 am

Thank you for your input, ch.koenig. But, I am really looking for input from people that keep loaches; like clowns, yoyo, etc. I can't read or speak German. As a matter of fact, English is my only language and I'm not all that good with it. :D

Are these leaves of any value in a loach tank? For any reason. :?
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

Bully

Post by Bully » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:04 am

As far as I am aware Attisons Betta Spa and other blackwater products are made from Indian Almond Leaves (IAL).

I use them occasionally in my tanks, if your water is soft then they will lower the pH and some care should be taken if your water is very soft. They will also tannin-stain your water, depending upon quantity in your tank. There seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence that they are anti-fungicidal but, there does not appear to be any scientific evidence. They decompose very quickly and if you have strong flow in the tank they will get picked up in your filter and make a lot of mess. If you want a natural leaf-litter look in the tank then go for Oak and/or Beech leaves which don't decompose anywhere near as quickly. If you want the blackwater look to your tank then use the IAL's or the other methods previously mentioned by ch.koenig. I know that MD mentions using IAL in the tank that his sids spawned in but, I don't suppose we have any idea as to what effect they had. I know when they are added to the tank that the loaches will take residence in them, especially the Pangio but, that's probably because of leaves being a part of their natural biotope.

Donna

Post by Donna » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:30 am

My kuhli loaches love Indian Almond Leaves, but I've never tried any others. Yes, the tank has acquired a slightly tea-stained tint, which I like.

http://stores.ebay.com/Amys-Ketapang-Inc?refid=store

The first ones I got were grade A+ large, but I just ordered a bunch of grade A small ones, because one of my angelfish got caught trapped between a sunken leaf and the wall.
Carpe Didelphis!

glenna

Post by glenna » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:03 pm

could anyone post some pictures of a "leaf littered" tank. I really like the idea, but am not sure how one would take care of such a tank. MY yard is FULL of big oak trees, so I have a steady supply.
Right now my 75 gallon is all fakey plants and plastic wood, etc. I was trying to be more "sterile" but I am now thinking of it as a nuisance, plus not very natural looking. My planted tank with real bogwood and plants is SO much prettier and easier to care for. Plus, I think the fish really like being around REAL, not fake stuff. (I am probably projecting, but oh well).
how often do you "change" the leaves...do the loaches eat them?
thanks
glenna

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:57 am

Here's a few exceptional examples as aquascaped by the very talented George Farmer:

Cambodian Blackwater Pool Biotope @ UKAPS.org

Rio Negro biotope @ UKAPS.org

Chocolate gourami biotope @ UKAPS.org

glenna

leaf litter

Post by glenna » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:27 am

really nice website
Farmer takes aquascaping to a whole new level, doesn't he?
glenna

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:09 am

He certainly does :) They are also a good illustration of how much IAL can tannin stain your water, using Oak and/or Beech will usually have a less pronounced effect on colour.

To answer some of your previous questions, loaches won't eat the leaves but shrimp will, as they decompose. Oak and Beech have lasted several months in my tank, Indian Almond leaves tend to last less than 2 weeks. I really like leaf litter in my tanks it offers a very natural look if you are trying to replicate a biotope where you would normally see leaf litter. If you don't want it shifted all around your tank don't use it in tanks with many cichlid species as they usually have strong enough jaws to move it :)

Donna

Post by Donna » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 am

I just got my order of Indian Almond Leaves (wow, she's fast!) I like how they give the tank a river-bottom look, and my kuhlis LOVE exploring them.
This is my view of my aquarium from my chair:

My coworker has the best view:

My beloved kuhlis :D
Carpe Didelphis!

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 am

How do you get any work done? I would be watching them all day. :lol:

Donna

Post by Donna » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:48 pm

There's a difference between being AT work, and actually WORKING ...
Carpe Didelphis!