Upgrading to a 180, have ?s *lots of pics added*

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

PASoracco

Upgrading to a 180, have ?s *lots of pics added*

Post by PASoracco » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:24 am

howdy all. In the last few years my clowns have lived in a 20 gallon, 55, 75 and soon moving into a 6x2x2' 180 gallon truvu acrylic tank which I'm picking up tomorrow; finally had the budget and space for the upgrade. I had some questions while getting the final equipment, and furnishings and was hoping to get some help.

I have a eheim 2227, a fluval 305 and a larger aqua clear HOB on my 75 gallon. If I swap over the HOB and one canister filter to the new tank, about how long would it take dechlorinated tap water to be suitable for my fish to live in? The new tank is coming with two fluval 404s; any recommendations on which combination of filters I should use to keep the new tank clean?

I know heaters vary greatly in efficiency, but roughly how many watts of heating should I shoot for?

My 75 only had two normal output 48" fluorescent tubes over it, and my anubias, swords, java fern, and other misc plants have done fairly well despite the constant loach abuse. I want to upgrade to a HO T5 system for the new tank, but was not sure what size. I know that more watts per gallon is better for my plants, but with loaches in mind, how many watts would be sufficient for this tank? I am currently stuck between a 216watt 48" and a 312 watt 72" AquaticLife fixture. Both got good reviews on marine depot, have built in moonlights, dual timers, etc. While I'd love to spend less money on power and lamp replacements and get the smaller unit, I want my live plants to thrive in the new tank. Budget conscious recommendations highly appreciated!

lastly, on my 75 I used a koralia 4 in addition to my filters to create some much appreciated water movement for the loaches. In the new tank I want to provide the same natural fast moving water feeling for the loaches without doing a full river manifold and I know the koralia 4 wont cut it. What do people use to make good flow in big tanks? Would a single large power head like a koralia magnum 8 do the job or do I need to break the bank here too :roll:

I feel like a newbie all over again, but I'm so glad this day finally came. I remember when my 55 gallon felt big, I can't wait to see my loaches swimming around in a tank over three times larger :D I siliconed a divider in the bottom of my 55 and did a split sand/small pea gravel substrate, with slate, river rock and drift wood shelters. I need to get some more materials, but I hope to keep a similar feel in this tank with very natural aquascaping and decor.
Last edited by PASoracco on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Great for you to have been increasing their tank size, and now a 180... WOW!

New filter choices: I would aim at a minimum of 10 times the tank volume per hour through the filters.

Moving old filters: The current filters hold roughly half or more of the nitrifying bacteria. If you are moving all your fish to the new tank, then move all the filters. If some fish are staying in the old tank, then keep one or two cycled filters on that tank so the beneficial bacteria will balance the amount of fish in each tank.
Then add a new filter to each tank. By sharing the cycled filters the new tank will be ready right away. If you move the filter but then do not move the fish you are starving the bacteria. The new filters will gradually grow some bacteria and you can swap them around among the tanks in whatever way you want as long as the bacteria are kept in balance. If you do not want to move the filters, then just move the filter media. This is where most of the bacteria live.

Dechlor: Dechlorinator works right away, so as soon as it has circulated it has done its job. This is right away: stick a hose into the new tank, add dechlor right into the flow of the water, and when the tank is full the dechlor has taken care of the chlorine or chloramine.
If you fill the new tank with cold water you will have to wait until it has warmed to within a degree or two of the current tank temperature. With this large a tank that could take quite a while. Much better to start with warm water.

How fast to move the fish in: I would run the tank and all new equipment for 24 hours to be sure it is all working. (Do not remove the cycled media from the established filters for this test. The fish in the 75 gallon need the bacteria. Just test the new filters. After seeing that they work you can start swapping filters or media however best conserves the bacteria with the fish)

Heater: A large volume of water holds heat better than a small volume. You may have already noticed this with your 75 as compared to the 20 gallon tank. If the 180 gallon tank is in a room that will not get too cold then you might find that about 3 watts of heaters per gallon is plenty. If the temperature in the room is allowed to drop, though, it may take 4-5 watts per gallon to keep the tank warm. I would highly recommend 2 or more heaters so there is more even heating, and in case one dies the other will maintain the heat, or at least let it drop slower.

Lighting: The light should reach the full length of the tank, so whatever fixture will do that is better. 2 fixtures, each half the length are fine. Larger tanks seem not to need quite so many watts per gallon of light as smaller tanks.
T-12 and T-8 bulbs are not as efficient as T-5s and you will get a lot more light out of the HO T-5 system. They usually have better reflectors, as well as being more efficient.
If you are looking at T-12 or T-8 systems, aim for around 1.5 watts per gallon, maybe edging toward 2 watts, especially with the T-12 bulbs. If you are looking at T-5 or T-5 HO then around 1-1.25 wpg might be plenty. Multiple switches for dawn and dusk/midday burst, and moonlights is definitely a plus.

Water circulation, power heads: I would use 2 Koralia 4s on a tank this size.
Filter inlet and outlet will provide upper level water flow, and you can place these for good water movement. Keep the Koralias mid tank or lower, and aim them at dead spots. This is where running the tank for a day or two can be helpful. You can try the Koralias in a couple of places to see what works. Give them an hour in each spot to be sure all the water is moving in the new direction.

Will you need to take down the 75 gallon to set up the 180? Same location? This will require some coordination and fast work. Perhaps a temporary tank for the fish, not just leave them in buckets.
If the 180 is going in a new location, then you can be much more relaxed about setting it up, and being sure the equipment runs, temperature is stable and so on.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:57 pm

I knew I wanted a 6' long tank, and wanted more than 18" of depth front to back for a nice big foot print, so the 180 worked out great. My roommate is going to be refinishing the stand and hood which are made of a beautiful red oak with butter smooth piano-style hinges on every door and hatch. I also ordered a truvu scratch repair and cleaning kit once I knew I was getting the tank, so it should be here soon along with new lots of other new toys I ordered :D I don't want to see this month's bank statement :shock:

I will be putting the 180 in a different place in the living room than the 75, so I will get a chance to set everything set up at my leisure. How long before I move the fish should the old filter media/filters go on the new tank to keep the bacteria from dying but making sure the fish wont be shocked by the change in water conditions? I will be monitoring my water parameters, but do not know about the lifespan of the bacteria; it isn't necessary to do a fishless cycle before I add the filters, is it? I have no idea :oops:

as I said, my tank will be kept in the relatively warm living room, upstairs in our house, with little to no direct sun light. for heaters I was planning on running a 350w titanium heater with seperate temp probe as well as my 250w stealth heater; should I throw a third heater on there? I have some older stealths and jagers I could use.

for lighting, I went with a 216w HO t-5 system with 8 built in moonlights. i will also be running a dual tube NO 4' fixture which will switch on/off about an hour before and after the t-5 system to gently transition between day and night.

my other roommate who loves watching my clown loaches swim and chase each other in the stream of water from my koralia 4 offered to pay the difference in price between a 4 and an 8, so I got a koralia magnum 8! 3250 gph of flow :shock: I plan on positioning it on the far end of the tank, under the canister spray bars, aimed down the front of the tank creating a nice visible place for the clowns and other loaches to play, and to pick up any dead spots in the opposite corner. I will position the koralia 4 anywhere needed along the far side or back wall to get any other flow deadspots I find.

phew, its a lot to think about, but I think it's all coming together. thanks for all the help Diana!

glenna

Post by glenna » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:09 pm

That sounds awesome.
Very nice that your tank is enough of a "quality of life" asset that your roommate is willing to pitch in a bit. Believe me when I tell you that I totally know the pain of the bank statement when it comes to these fish tank. I hope that you will be able to post some pics. I always love to see how others decide to set up their tank
glenna

ScottMI

Post by ScottMI » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:50 pm

I would do a bunch of water changes on your 75 gallon before moving the fish to the bigger tank so they are use to the newer water conditions. Once you are ready to move the fish I would move them all and move the filters exact same time. The fish will start putting out ammonia so the bacteria will have its food off the bat.
Just your everyday loach addict!

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:03 pm

Ditto Scott: Start on some bigger water changes now, so the water parameters will change over the next couple of weeks. Then the fish will be adapted to whatever water chemistry the tap water has. Use dechlorinator, of course (if needed- chlorine or chloramine in the tap water)

Moving the fish and the bacteria at the same time is best. The fish in the old tank would produce toxic amounts of ammonia if you moved the filters without them.
The bacteria will die if you move them and there is no source of ammonia.

Here is how I would do this:
Pre- fish move: Set up all the substrate, driftwood, plants, rocks as well as all the equipment that will be part of the new tank. Test it all for function. (24-48 hours is usually enough)
Day of the move: Move the filter media from the established filters and the fish on the same day.
After the move: monitor the tank for ammonia and nitrite and be ready to do water changes as needed. If it is a heavily planted tank there should be no problem, that is plenty of light. If there are not so many plants then there may be a brief show of ammonia followed by a bit of nitrite.

The two heaters you mention ought to be enough. That is over 3 watts per gallon, and the description of the area sounds like it stays fairly warm, stable temperature.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:55 am

I have a question regarding the Koralia Magnum 8. Is the enclosure such that clowns and yoyo's and striata's can not swim into the enclosure?

I have some clowns that enjoy cramming themselves into pumps and what not...

Thanks.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:28 am

all of the koralia powerheads have small enough slits on the intakes that they can't suck up even small loaches. stronger swimming medium/large loaches can swim right up to the output of the powerhead which does have large enough openings that a fish could get their snout in there, however all of the koralias include a snap on attachment with focuses the water into a tighter column and has a screen on it. with this attached, even determined loaches wont be able to get into the power head. the whole koralia line is a very energy effecient and cost effective way to move a lot of water in your aquarium, which your loaches will appreciate

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:49 am

a picture of how my 55 was set up; I want a similar feel with the new 180

the new tank on its stand; the doors are off because my roommate already started sanding and prepping it to restain. I haven't even washed the tank yet, let alone polish out the scratches; hopefully it will end up looking a lot better.

the only picture i took of it fully assembled was with my dying camera phone.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 am

here are some pictures of the fish that will be living in the new tank from about a year ago

the clowns; I had six when I took these. I had a four larger ones that I rehomed with a friend a while before, once I learned more about their needs. Now I have 9 and hope to get more once their in the new tank

big happy family
in the left corner of this photo you can see my dario that has funky stripes. he was the runt a year ago, and now he's the biggest and most boisterous.

three biggest clowns and the biggest yoyo

clowns with a younger yoyo and my two smallest kubs.

2nd largest yoyo

oldest, second largest kub

one of the three old, reclusive horseface loaches; I've been looking for more locally for years.

few of my sids hanging out

my ancient dwarf plec; i think he is a bulldog or something similar.

my young albino sailfin pleco

newshound

Post by newshound » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm

that dario is cool!!!!
drain your pool!

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Great photos. Very nice!

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:03 am