Peas ? are they mashed?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ram13

Peas ? are they mashed?

Post by ram13 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:14 pm

I had tried feeding my clowns and zebras blanched peeled peas a few times before, but after making a lazy effort they simply turned their nose away.

Yesterday I mashed the peas and sprinkled a bit, viola! every singled bit was gone within seconds.. Mollies and platys also greedily gulped the tiny pieces of pea mash..

Never give up trying I suppose :)

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:44 pm

I had heard of mashing them for fry, but larger fish? Weird! Mine just bite them.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

cloudhands

Post by cloudhands » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Yeah, ours eat them up too.

They've been enjoying winter squash too. At first, weeks ago, I gave them a bit of skin with some orange on it, pretty thin. I noticed that after a bit it was gone, so I figured they liked it, even though they had seemed indifferent at first. The last time I gave pretty big chunks to both tanks (the big loaches, and the kuhlies/otos). The botias really chomped it down. They were even clicking, chasing each other away, and in a bit of a frenzy over it. Within a day there was nothing left but skin, of a fairly big chunk. It was a considerable amount of squash to eat.

I give each slice/chunk about 30 seconds in the microwave before feeding.

The kuhlies and otos like the squash too, but the piece was too big. After two days it was disintegrating and getting all over. I had to vacuum it up. The kuhlies were eating little bits even as I was vacuuming.

ram13

I know its weird

Post by ram13 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:12 am

Yes. Its weird. All my loaches are over 4" and very active. They have no problems forming a hoop in the thick cucumber rings in no time. I don't have any idea why they ALL chose to ignore the pea pods earlier.

Never tried squash before. I'll give it a try soon to see what the response for that it is..