70F central system

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Curtis

70F central system

Post by Curtis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:30 am

Well as the subject suggests... my temperature controller for my central system of about 1500 gallons had some kind of error and hasn't been heating the tanks. The tanks are running at 70F right now with clown loaches, sids, yoyo's, striatas. red tailed zebra loaches and some other loaches. In another tank on the system I have jack dempsey's who have recently breed in potentially this temperature.

The interesting thing is behavior in my tanks have been the same as when the heaters kept the tanks at 80F, I only noticed when I went to water a plant with tank water and thought the tank was awfully cold.

So my question is... is my best action to up the temp a degree a day or so, this way everyone adjusts back to the normal 80F?

I'm surprised no one is showing symptoms and I honestly don't know how long the temp controller has been out.

Thanks in advance.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:39 am

For the fish, winter has arrived. Yes, I would raise the temperature by a degree a day until they are in the upper 70s, anyway. If all the fish want 80*, then go for it.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:13 pm

In their native habitat how cold does the clown loach habitat get?

I am just very surprised at how active and happy these clown loaches are at 70F?

Diana, what temp do you think clowns would like during "winter"?

Have a great day.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:10 pm

Curtis wrote:Diana, what temp do you think clowns would like during "winter"?
I've wondered about this as well. Does anyone know the temperature variations between day and night or between the seasons in a natural clown habitat?
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"