Finally set up a river tank :)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

zmo63

Finally set up a river tank :)

Post by zmo63 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 am

It's been a year since Jim Powers came to talk to our local fish club, but I said I'd do it and I did!

Of course, I'm always second guessing myself, so I would appreciate some opinions on whether I've got it right.

I got some secondhand powerheads from a friend, and they're mismatched. I can't decide if that's good or bad, or if the weaker one is too weak or the stronger one is too strong. The Sewellias clearly love all the current, but I worry about the Chelas getting tired!

stats:
30 gallon tank, 36" long
Eheim Classic 2215 - 134 GPH
Maxi-jet 400 powerhead - 106 GPH
Maxi-jet 1200 powerhead - 295 GPH

stock:
Sewellia lineolata
Schistura corica
Schistura savona
Chela dadibujori
Cherry shrimp

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 pm

Looks great! I'm hoping to add 2 or 3 of that same tank to my collection soon. I like the size for a samll place like mine.
If it were me I'd pile more river stones in, makes more hiding places and more surfaces for algae to grow. If the chelas can't find peace maybe try just one powerhead?

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 pm

lovely.

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks so much!

Plaalya, I think you're right that it needs more rocks. Looking at it in person, I didn't think so, but looking at it in photos, it does look a bit bare.

I'm hoping someone who keeps Chelas can chime in, because I just can't tell if they're happy with the current or not. All the turbulence stresses ME out, but honestly, they seem fine - so maybe I'm just having a hard time thinking like a river fish!

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:30 pm

I have 6 chelas in my sewellia tank, fairly new additions. When I first added them they didn't know how to handle it, the shop tank where I got them had no current, but they've settled in now. I don't have near the current that you have. This tank used to be a torrent but i have downgraded for similar reasons. Make it comfortable for you, and the fish. It's good if there is a place where they can escape the current so they're not constantly fighting it!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:13 pm

That looks great!!
I'm glad to finally see your take on a river tank. As nice as your other tanks look, I knew this one would also. :D
Are those Sewellia tank bred from one of your fellow club members?
I think, given the fact that you have two different flows, the chelas should be fine. Mine enjoy the current more than just about any fish I have had.
If you do not feel comfortable, though, I would provide a current break fairly near the surface that they can rest behind. Maybe java fern on a piece of driftwood or something.

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks, Jim! Yes, the Sewellias are from Dave here in Atlanta. His tank is a factory!

I will keep watching the Chelas - they really don't seem bothered by the current, but I might try a less powerful powerhead and see how they react to that. I'm amazed at how unfazed the shrimp have been. I was sure I'd have to pull them out.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

I just picked up a couple more chelas today to make up for a couple I have lost over the last few months. That made me think about your worries about the current. If you have one powerhead that only puts out 106 gph I think you should be okay. Remember, the flow near the surface, where the chelas tend to swim, will be slower than the flow near the bottom. You still might want to put some plants near the surface (floating?) in the back corner above the powerheads to provide them a resting place. You really don't want to reduce your flow for the rest of the fish.
I have a flow in a shorter 20L river tank and that's how I have it set up to allow the microrasbora rubescens and danio choprae a place to rest.