the new loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

55gal

the new loaches

Post by 55gal » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 pm

i have had the 6 Botia kubotai loaches for about 3 weeks now and they are fun to watch. they are out alot and will swim together in groups or alone. they love the current, and thanks to ??? someone here for the advice "Botia kubotai like cracks rather than caves like some other loaches."
so here are some pictures.

and my Flying Fox
6 polkadot loaches, 6 blood fin tetras, 7 white cloud mtn. minnows, 3 gold barbs, 1 flying fox, and 1 pleco munching up my algae. oh yea i am expiermenting with sanils, humm.

Dunga

Post by Dunga » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi,

nice fishes and pics.
10 Sidthimunkis, 6 yoyos, 7 clowns, 1 bicolor, 1 sterbai, 1 Angelfish, 15 zebra danios
! Remember that nothing can take the place of routine water changes to keep your water clean and your fish healthy !

glenna

foxes???

Post by glenna » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:27 pm

very pretty fish and nice tank!
Hey, regarding that flying fox...... how can you tell it from a true siamese algae eater? I recently got two "true SAE" and they look JUST like you fox!!!
Hmmmmmmm.....

So far, they have been very helpful algae eaters and have not picked on any of the other fish. Of course, this is not a big tank (29g) and with only raspora, ottos and a very handsome albino bristle nose!
glenna

Sharkscott2

Post by Sharkscott2 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:47 pm

If you look at the flying fox picture it has 4 stripes on it

Dark brown on top
Coppery / tan
Black
Light gray / silver on the bottom

The SAE will only have three lines.

Dark brown/gray (maybe not as dark at the picture above)
Black
Light gray/silver

Also on the SAE the black line will extend through the tail, sometimes very small SAEs won't have developed this coloration.

The false SAE has nearly identical stripes to the SAE however it's black stripe won't extend through the tail. It stops right at the base of the tail. There is also a difference in the shape of their head but the tail stripe is the easiest way to tell.

55gal

Post by 55gal » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Glenna are yours flying foxes or not?
I ask because my fox really is not an algae eater.If he is he sucks at it.
And thanks to Sharkscott2 for telling us the difference. Good to know i have what i thought i had.
I have read here and i unfortunatly believe PET SHOPS will say just about anithing to sell you something.
6 polkadot loaches, 6 blood fin tetras, 7 white cloud mtn. minnows, 3 gold barbs, 1 flying fox, and 1 pleco munching up my algae. oh yea i am expiermenting with sanils, humm.

Sharkscott2

Post by Sharkscott2 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I frequent several fish stores and they will call any of the three a Siamese Algae Eater or a Siamese Flying Fox.

Katy

Post by Katy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:24 am

What great healthy-looking Kubs! Around here we get them about 1-2 cm long and really skinny.... Yours are so beautiful!

55gal

Post by 55gal » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks for the nice comments.
About 2 hours after i posted here my Loaches started swimming in circles in the middle of my tank, nonstop for the last 12 hours. they were having such fun i took a video. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy6YmNMScqE

glenna

Post by glenna » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 am

nice video..... loaches on caffeine!

Hey and regarding my SAE versus flying fox question, I think mine must be SAE's. If there are three stripes the upper and lower are just a tiny little thread, but the black stripe is broad and goes completely through the tail. Plus, when they sit on a log or leaf, they use their front ventral (?) fins to prop themselves up. Was trying to take a picture but the little devil will NOT come out of the hollow log to get his picture taken!!
Thanks for helping me tell the difference!
glenna

55gal

Post by 55gal » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:45 am

And as to my last post - now the loaches have been swimming in circles for several days now?
Must be having fun.