Witch Schistura

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

aurora

Witch Schistura

Post by aurora » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:03 pm

Hello everyone I just got on this forum. I have been into loaches for a while now and I have a 40 gallon tank especially for loaches.

But I have one question. A while ago I bought 4 schistura's and I don't really know wich one it is. De salesman din't know it either(he said they where catfish :shock: ). So I would like to ask you for help to identify these fish.

Here are some pics of them (I hope I know how to get them on here)

I hope those are enough to get some help at this.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Hello aurora,

the small red markings on the tail reminds me of S. poculi. Other ideas were S. mahnerti and S. vinciguerrae, but both have more red in the tail fin.

It is not easy, I have loaches bought as Schistura subfusca (also very similar to yours) but this is a synonym to Nemacheilus subfusca. I never figured out what this loaches really are. :)

Thomas

madhu

Post by madhu » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 am

Looks to me more of a Mesonemacheilus than a Schistura

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:34 pm

hi
I remembered to have seen this. http://azumanettaigyo.com/02tsuhan/Loac ... _loach.htm
as non-expert: looks like. but without scientific name...
cheers charles

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:31 pm

My LFS has had these for several months. I couldn't resist and took one home when they first came in. It ate the fins off of the other fish in the Q-tank. It could have been because there was just one, in any case, it moved on. Beautiful fish though!

aurora

Post by aurora » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. But I'm still not sure wich one it is. My fish store has another 4 of these coming for me tomorrow so than I will have 8 of them. They really seem to like each others company so that might be why they get really agressive when kept alone. I have around 10 Nemacheilus binotatus in the same tank and they seem to be more annoying to other fish(and shrimp) than these fish. I do notice they are extremely hyperactive during the day time so I put some wood in the tank and that really seem to calm them down.