Pls recommend my first loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bio_loaches

Pls recommend my first loach

Post by bio_loaches » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 am

Hello all, I just joined this wonderful website for loaches. Was really surprised of its existence and keen to keep some loaches.

I am now in the third week of the nitrogen cycle of my newly acquired 55 gallons freshwater tank. Presumably, if all goes well, will be putting in some live stocks within 2 weeks time.

I intend to put many tetras in the tank as time goes by.

As I am completely new to loaches, I wonder what type of loaches are suitable for this newly setup tank or should I wait for the tank to establish first.

To Admin,
Thks for allowing me to access this site.

onebto

Welcome

Post by onebto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 am

Welcome to LOL its a great site and you could not find anywhere finer to advise you on the species in my opinion.

Most Loaches like a mature tank so I would give it a while before adding any.
A lot of loach species like to be in groups of there own species so be aware of that as well as that some like the Clown loach get VERY big when mature I would recommend you do some research on the species here is a good start : http://www.loaches.com/

Regards onebto.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 am

Many Tetras are rather small fish, so I would also go with some of the smaller Loaches.
Botia striata, or Kuhlie Loaches are probably among the best community tank Loaches. They are social, so get at least 5.
Among the Tetras, avoid the Serpaes, Silvertips and Blue Tetras. These tend to be a bit pushy to nippy and can harass the other fish, chasing and nipping their fins.
Other good fish for a community:
Small catfish such as Corys get along just fine with the Loaches I suggested, Harlequin Rasboras are peaceful, bold and colorful, and if you like striped fish avoid Tiger Barbs, get Pentazona Barbs.

If you want something a bit larger Rainbow Fish (there are many species) are a good choice with Loaches. Some can eat the smaller Tetras, though.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

bio_loaches

Post by bio_loaches » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Thank so much onebto and Diana for the suggestions.

Didn't know that loaches require mature tank. Fortunately onebto told me this, otherwise I will be getting some loaches once my tank has cycled.

Diana, I'll get those small loaches for my tank. Quite surprise to know that some of them can grow big. I like tetras so much especially the cardinals, lemons, flamebacks and those of the same size. I intend to make them as the main livestocks in my tank, of course plus the loaches.

Unfortunately, the saepaes and the tiger barbs are not that friendly. I'll get their substitutes then. Any idea how to train them to be friendly?

Have a great day.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:55 pm

If you're not stuck on Botia, Yunnanilus Cruciatus are small and friendly. Doesn't eat and crap a lot either ;)

bio_loaches

Post by bio_loaches » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into Yunnanilus Cruciatus.