Internal Filters?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Botia Robert

Internal Filters?

Post by Botia Robert » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 am

Hi Everybody!

I have been thinking about using an Internal Filter for the benefit of current, and with the added Venturi effect, the extra airation.

However, I am unsure how much Biological Filtration such a filter can provide.

Are these type of filters worth having in a loach tank??

Thanks.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:25 am

for the added water movement and aeration, a powerhead would definitely be a good idea in any loach tank, but wouldn't provide filtration. what kind of loaches do you have? what size tank? what is the existing water movement/filtration?
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"

Hokum

Post by Hokum » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:55 am

I use Eheim Aquaball's and find them excellent. I have two in my tank and act as all my filtration. I run an Aquaball 60 as my "powerhead" with added filtration and the main filter is an Aquaball 130 total flow is 480l/h+550 l/h in my 100 litre tank. This combined with the diffuser means that there is a lot of aeration.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:36 am

i use fluval internals in the loach tanks for circulation and it also polishes the water as the botias do kick up a mess at feeding times.
i also have a sera internal but the sponge changing is a pain in the butt as there is no canister with these models.

mick
never take people at face value.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 am

I use Fluval internals along with Resun Powerheads in all of my tanks, the positive effects of having these in my tanks was proven with my 250 gallon tank, with the externals and a couple of powerheads the fish just didnt look happy so there are two large externals and 5 large internal powerheads with filter cartridges and the difference is amazing.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:49 pm

A power head with a sponge over the intake will provide a lot of water movement, plenty of space for nitrifying bacteria and some medhanical filtration. Simply keep the sponge clean. Even if the flow seems good, clean the sponge with every water change, or at least weekly with water removed from the tank.

Adding bubbles with the venturi effect may not really add to the aeration. The venturi feature may slow the water flow (per specs about the Aquaclear product line), and the bubbles simply pop at the surface. Better, IMO to run the PH fairly high up in the tank so the water movement affects the surface with some pretty good ripples.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Botia Robert

Post by Botia Robert » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the replys.

I definately like to use powerheads in my loach tanks for circulation, and the use of a sponge over the intake is great for filtration and a way to stop fish getting sucked in!

I was more interested in the opinions regarding the Biological filtration capacities of internal filters. To me they seem to be a much smaller volume than canisters.

Thanks again.

Marcos Mataratzis

Re: Internal Filters?

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 am

Botia Robert wrote:I have been thinking about using an Internal Filter for the benefit of current, and with the added Venturi effect, the extra airation.

However, I am unsure how much Biological Filtration such a filter can provide.

Are these type of filters worth having in a loach tank?
You tell me:

I use 2 6 stage internal filters, 2 liter of ceramic rings each, 1000 Liter/hour Atman powerheads with Venturi bubling plus a 5000 Liter/hour Koralia for circulation:

I recomend. Good luck!
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki