Pangio Oblonga juves

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

IlOutfitter

Pangio Oblonga juves

Post by IlOutfitter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Tonight I decided to rescape, I was unpleased with my 52g FBH planted amazon tank.

well took out all the plants and removed the unused ugf plate that was put under there incase it was used in the future. well removed the plate and took care of it, water was filthy, so started the recycling process and about 3/4 way thru my 4yo daughter tells me I got white snakes in the tank, im like "HUH" and look, I counted 3 for sure baby pangio O.'s maybe 4, they were sold to me under the black kuhli name, I had 6 adults and one died, so that left me 5 and tonight I counted 8, 3 juves were MAYBE 2" long stretched and all white with pink gills and pink organs on its underbelly behind its gills.

I dont know how hard they are to breed or what but I somehow accomplished it with their natural help.

pics are going to be very hard to get as they are deep in the substrate now. I will try my hardest but cant promise anything as we all know the nature of the beast I am trying to photograph.

water parameters were 0-0-.5 maybe .3 and the Ph is at 8.4

Donna

Post by Donna » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 am

CONGRATULATIONS! :D
Most kuhlis bred by hobbyists were accidental, and discovered underneath the UG filter plates. That's why I designed a little shelf to try to mimic the feel of it. No luck so far, that I know of, but there's also lots of leaves littered around that they LOVE too, so I'm still hoping.
Carpe Didelphis!

IlOutfitter

Post by IlOutfitter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:49 am

it was a pure accident, natural selection at its finest truly.

I found 10 pangio faces staring back at me from their "cave" I do have 6 full grown adults and 4 juves total. its kinda neat their beady eyes staring back at you in the green LED moonlight.

clint

Post by clint » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Thats really cool to hear. I have a 90g with 7/8 black ones and 2/3 stripped ones, i plan on adding to the stripped ones.

I just got down from feeding my fish which are in my bedroom. Got curious as to how many of the stripped i really have. I know i purchased 3, but usually have only seen 2 out at a time, foraging in the big crypt i have. So i take my big LED flashlight and start shinning under my stone work. I have 2 small stripped unaccounted for kuhlis at least, found the third original one under there as well, maybe mom?? The little ones are about 1.5/2" and obviously not my originally purchased stock. WOW what a surprise, all this kuhli talk got me inspired to take a really close took. While i was shinning them one came out and swam to another flat stone then i saw there was mom under there and another small little head. So i say i have at least 2 little stripped kuhlis.

IlOutfitter

Post by IlOutfitter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 pm

I have 3 generations of pangio oblongas in the tank according to size, adults are 3-3.5" got one juve that is 2.5" and 10 little ones that are maybe 1.5"

I made a few terra cotta saucer caves for them under the substrate and put a piece of wicked holed cypress stump they have ALL moved into. nothing but them can get in there, my next smallest are neons and they suspend around and above it but not in it.

Around 230 this morning I took a wander out cause I couldnt sleep and turned my green led's on. all the adults, a total of 6 3"+ pangio's were in the powerhead stream just flying in place and the little ones were ALL out and about.

Its neat they are still pairing up with the corydoras for protection and early warning when the angels come around.

they have been in flourite for a year almost and all barbells on all the fish that have them are very long and clean, not even a mark of a scratch on any of the pangio's

I am going to use this flat ugf plate I have around here for some shelves, I can wrap them in moss and lay them at substrate level, this should be right down their alley to be happy and reproduce again.

None will be for sale, I have moved into experimental mode with their breeding now.

I can say its a happy tank, other then my 3 dozen new cardinals in there and sae's everything breeds often. I am just glad the pangios dont breed like my corydoras do, them little snots leave eggs everywhere.

The little guys love the bloodworms too, I shoot em in with a turkey baster and them little buggers come flying out to join the feast. Im just worried about one of em getting mistaken for a BW.

clint

Post by clint » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:45 pm

How big of a tank is this, and again congrats its great you have multiple generations going.

IlOutfitter

Post by IlOutfitter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 pm

clint wrote:How big of a tank is this, and again congrats its great you have multiple generations going.
52g flat back hex, same width and depth as a 55 just the right and left side have about 6" of glass then a 10-12" angle piece to a 3' piece of glass. for the front.

I saw 10 out last night in the 1.5" range they love them some brine shrimp and shrimp pellets.

I added a piece of cypress stump and a terra cotta saucer I ge-1'd up and rolled it in gravel, they are between the two if not living in both new pieces, the adults love the wood and wont go near the saucer.

clint

Post by clint » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Good for you, i like how someone on my thread replied a pic looked like another species? :D Like i would somehow have a closely related species small enough to pass of as a baby pangio. I see the baby pangios have the stripping higher up, i assume the stripping will come down the sides as they mature:wink: . I know with my rainbows the young look not a thing like the adults, the change is so complete you could look at a 2 month old bow and an adult and say no way they are the same fish.

I did drive 2 hours total to get a bag of 7 more pangios on tues i think, we'll see what happens in the future. If they bred once they'll do it again i'm sure. I do have nighttime leds so am looking forward to the kora and the kuhlis nighttime activity. Can't wait to install it.

IlOutfitter

Post by IlOutfitter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm

clint wrote:Good for you, i like how someone on my thread replied a pic looked like another species? :D Like i would somehow have a closely related species small enough to pass of as a baby pangio. I see the baby pangios have the stripping higher up, i assume the stripping will come down the sides as they mature:wink: . I know with my rainbows the young look not a thing like the adults, the change is so complete you could look at a 2 month old bow and an adult and say no way they are the same fish.

I did drive 2 hours total to get a bag of 7 more pangios on tues i think, we'll see what happens in the future. If they bred once they'll do it again i'm sure. I do have nighttime leds so am looking forward to the kora and the kuhlis nighttime activity. Can't wait to install it.
I got over 20 babies, they do darken up its not so much the line dropping, I got some going into adult hood, grown a good 1/2 in the past two weeks and darkened up very nicely.

I use a green LED flashlight to watch mine at night, I just set the flashlights on top of the tank.

I got access to the better camera(14.1mp instead of 8mp) and am going to take pics of the tanks, some new fish and starting the photo journal of my 210g discus build.

good luck, I know if you let them just be pangio's they breed just fine. There is absolutely no human intervention due to the fact they will lay their eggs in a very dark place. The fry look like little white worms and them as well as the juves are highly light sensitive where the adults can handle the light.(they dont appear to have pupils)
Green and red colors seem to be the best as it doesnt bother them at all to view with.