which Loach to help control some MTS?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Michaelthorpe1968

which Loach to help control some MTS?

Post by Michaelthorpe1968 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 am

Hi just after some advice on which type of loach would be best to help control MTS (malaysian trumpet snails) i currently have 240 litre aquarium medium gravel substrait going in to a community tank

clint

Post by clint » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:32 am

Is that about 50 gallons? What other fish are in the tank? As that matters on what loach you would want to add. All the usual loaches one would see at the LFS will take care of your problem. But loaches are a routy bunch and that has to be considered.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 pm

I'd advice AGAINST clowns for your tank size, It'll be okay until they get big, then they need a bigger tank.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Some fish will learn to suck the meat out of the MTS, but the shell is very hard, and some fish never learn to do this. I would start by feeding less and hand picking when you can. They are harder to bait than pond or rams horn snails, too. Probably some of the Loaches that get just a bit bigger would be better, if there is enough room in the tank. 240 liters is a good sized tank for Loaches up tp about the size of Yoyos, but it sure will depend on what other fish are in there.
Ditto JonasBygdemo, Clowns or other species this size are not good. Too big.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Michaelthorpe1968

Post by Michaelthorpe1968 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:54 pm

I have blue accara, 5 cherry barbs, a common plec, 3 oto's and 2 rainbow fish all the fish get on well with each other it's well planted and plenty of hidie-holes too. it's 63 us gall or 52 gall uk

clint

Post by clint » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:58 pm

I'd say those fish would get on well with the loaches, i have otos in with a trio of the skunk loach or Yasuhikotakia morleti and they tend to be a bit nipper then most loaches. With your sized tank you can go with yo yo or zebras just about any of the common ones that catch your eye. I used to have a big snail problem in my 20g, i'd cull the snails and throw them in my 90g with the yo yos and zebras. Then i got the morletis and i have no more snails. Loaches are a way cool fish, i have them in with rainbows, torpedo barbs, a rainbow shark and have never second guessed my decision to add them in my stocking plan. Between them and the rainbows they make the tank. There always on the go, always hungry, I'd say time to go shopping.

janma

Post by janma » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Why not get Assassin snails? They would do the job easily.
-Janne

clint

Post by clint » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:25 pm

janma wrote:Why not get Assassin snails? They would do the job easily.
Maybe, but loaches are more fun to watch :roll:

Michaelthorpe1968

Post by Michaelthorpe1968 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:14 am

I agree loaches would be more fun to watch just need to find some yo yo's at my LFS in Norwich Uk.

butterfly01

Post by butterfly01 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:55 pm

I would advise against getting fish to solve a problem as frequently when the problem is solved the aquarist no longer wants the fish.
If you get loaches please consider they need to be kept in groups. Do you have the room/need/want a group.
There are many people who will tane MTS for their sand tanks. Try to give them away. You might even be able to give away /sell them at a local aquarium club for a small price.
MTS are live bearing snails and produce approx.one snail baby per month. Snails will over populate according to the food available . Perhaps feeding less and trapping(put veggies in after lights out remove next morn before lights on) might cut your population down with out buying loaches :) Just some thoughts.
Carol

janma

Post by janma » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:24 am

Well said Carol, thats why I recommended the Assassin snails.
-Janne

Michaelthorpe1968

Post by Michaelthorpe1968 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 am

I decided to buy a group of Yo Yo loaches as they'll be more suitable for my aquarium. (not yet purchased)

At present I don't have a major problem with MTS but have noticed that I have some and know that they are prolific breeding snails.

I never buy fish for specific purpose in mind I buy my fish for the following reasons

1 I like a species of fish
2 they will fit in the requirments of my set up eg water, habitat, and other species.

I looked at the assasin snail too but they are not available in my LFS yet and won't buy from Ebay as there's no gaurentee that they'll survive.

Thanks for you thought's Carol I've not just gone into this lightly and have consided the options, and feel YoYo's is the way to go

butterfly01

Post by butterfly01 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 am

Michaelthorpe1968 wrote:I decided to buy a group of Yo Yo loaches as they'll be more suitable for my aquarium. (not yet purchased)
Yoyo loaches are really cool :) Glad you're getting a group.
Michaelthorpe1968 wrote:At present I don't have a major problem with MTS but have noticed that I have some and know that they are prolific breeding snails.
wow I wish my MTS were more prolific. They are great in my sand tanks for keeping the sand loose but I hardly ever see them. I do feed sparingly and keep the substrate clean so maybe that's it.
Michaelthorpe1968 wrote:I never buy fish for specific purpose in mind I buy my fish for the following reasons

1 I like a species of fish
2 they will fit in the requirements of my set up eg water, habitat, and other species.
I looked at the assasin snail too but they are not available in my LFS yet and won't buy from Ebay as there's no gaurentee that they'll survive.
Good for you! Glad to know you're not one of those looking to re-home them after the problems solved . I've seen the Assassin snails recommended before but never see them at the LFS . They might be kind of cool.
Michaelthorpe1968 wrote:Thanks for you thought's Carol I've not just gone into this lightly and have consided the options, and feel YoYo's is the way to go
Enjoy your loaches. They are really great :)
Carol