Will different (but similar) loach species school together?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Gryphoemia

Will different (but similar) loach species school together?

Post by Gryphoemia » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:01 pm

I found a large (4"+) loach at my lfs and have decided to take him home- not exactly sure what species he is, that question is in this thread: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=189

Since most loaches school, I thought he could do with some buddies, probably clowns. Do you think a lonely loach would join a small school of another species?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:15 pm

They will interact with each other, but it also depends on which species it is. On how they interact is beyond us, as we don't know the loach in question.

Graeme.

shari

Post by shari » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:50 am

Gryph, have you determined that it is indeed a loach?
When you take it home, try to get a pic to show us if you can :wink:

Gryphoemia

Post by Gryphoemia » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:17 pm

I am 99% certain that it is a loach. It really looks just like a large yoyo loach, just warmer in color.
Actually, one thing that occurred to me yesterday was that there's alot of driftwood in that tank- so, if the water is particularly dark, it may make a dull gray/silver fish look golden brown. So, I suppose it could be a yoyo after all- we'll see when I get it home today and put it in clear water.

Actually, the guy at the lfs, after I assured him it was not a dojo loach, suggested that it was a botia rather than a loach. I was pretty sure those are flat synonyms, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gryphoemia

Post by Gryphoemia » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:19 pm

Tangent:

Is it boh-tee-ah or boh-sha?

sophie

Post by sophie » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:52 pm

Gryphoemia wrote:Tangent:

Is it boh-tee-ah or boh-sha?
boh-tee-ah; though you do hear "boh-sha" as well.
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Gryphoemia

Post by Gryphoemia » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:04 pm

Got him home today and tried to get a picture or two. This is the best I could do without torturing him too much- my digital camera leaves much to be desired.
Now that I've gotten a better look at him (holding still), I think he's a little more elongated than I described him, and also a bit smaller- just over 4" from nose to base of tail. Certainly not silvery.
He seems pretty active, but I did notice that one of his eyes looks a little strange- in the middle of the pupil there's a spot of goldish color like the outside rim of the eye. Odd- it doesn't look milky-cloudy like sick fish eyes I've seen before.

Kit

Post by Kit » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:20 pm

Photo's fine for ID ;-) It looks just like two of my larger yo-yos. The markings on mine have changed quite a bit from when I first got them (and they had the very characteristic y-o-y-o markings on the tail), and two of them look very much like yours.

You'll want more that one (plenty of others will weigh in on this!), and congratulations, if that is indeed what you have. They are active, inquisitive and lively fish who are a joy to observe. IMO ;-)

Cheers,

Kit.

Gryphoemia

Post by Gryphoemia » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Kit-
I'd love to have more than one, but unfortunately this little guy was all alone at the lfs- someone brought him in I think. They had no small yoyos, nor any loach of similar size.

shari

Post by shari » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:42 pm

Definitely a yo yo. Most likely a mature or almost mature one by the reticulated pattern. My female yo yo was much more of a golden base than the younger males which were decidedly silver.

and yes, botia=loach :wink: at least in your case.

Family=Cobitidae

Genus=Botia

Species=formerly lohachata, now almorhae

shari

Post by shari » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:43 pm

Definitely a yo yo. Most likely a mature or almost mature one by the reticulated pattern. My female yo yo was much more of a golden base than the younger males which were decidedly silver.

and yes, botia=loach :wink: at least in your case.

Family=Cobitidae

Genus=Botia

Species=formerly lohachata, now almorhae

Gryphoemia

Post by Gryphoemia » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks for clearing that up! I didn't know they could turn so gold- very pretty though.

One down side it sounds like she might be a girl... too bad since I'd already decided to name it Neville. Alas~ :roll:
Last edited by Gryphoemia on Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shari

Post by shari » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:12 pm

or...Nevilla, or Nevillita, or Nevillisima....it could work as plain old Neville. She'd never know 8)

Gryphoemia

Post by Gryphoemia » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:16 pm

:lol:
Nevillisima... I like the sound of that. I think I'll go with it.

shari

Post by shari » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:20 pm

whereabouts in CO are you? My dad's family is all out there, Golden, Walsenburg, Denver. And in New Mexico, too.