Clown Loaches like fire?!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NDininno

Clown Loaches like fire?!

Post by NDininno » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:31 pm

I moved into my new house last week and noticed that when I have the fireplace burning, my 3 clowns huddle together and just watch the fire flicker. It's way across the room so the heat doesn't touch the tank at all.It's so funny. They seem completely mesmerized by it.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Haha that's pretty strange!

glenna

Post by glenna » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:10 pm

hey, count yourself lucky... at least you SEE your clowns,
...mine only seem to come out in the middle of the night. I am an insomniac, but really, this is ridiculous.
They are SO beautiful when I do see them...
It is really cool that your like the firelight.
Maybe if I light a candle and play some Barry manilo?
:?:
glenna

FAILED

Post by FAILED » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:08 pm

I'm guessing pretty much everyones loaches tend to hide for the most part? Because mine only seem to stay out if i don't turn the lights on. Once the light go on ZOOOOM right into their caves and under the wood.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 am

When we were a younger and romantic couple we used to have lovely candle-lit dinners on the balcony, with tea-candles along the rail in front of the aquarium. The clowns and the fan-shrimp used to run all over in front of the candlelight.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:51 am

My clowns are more mod, they like to watch the computer screen sometimes. Certain games are especially interesting, lots of colors & mouse clicking.

zenins

Post by zenins » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:24 pm

NancyD wrote:My clowns are more mod, they like to watch the computer screen sometimes. Certain games are especially interesting, lots of colors & mouse clicking.
Do your clowns make the clicking sound too :?:
Zenin

NDininno

Post by NDininno » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:28 am

I have a pvc elbow in the tank with the opening facing the front glass. They just huddle in there normally but when the fire is lit they angle their bodies so their one eye is facing straight towards it. They get really docile and just chill there. The only times I can walk by the tank without them hiding really fast is when the fire is lit. They just love it!

My clowns click all the time. They usually click when they are eating but recently they started doing it very loudly when the room is dark and empty. My fiance and I were eating dinner and she heard the 'tick tick tick' from 3 rooms away. She says "OMG what is that weird ticking sound?" "The fish click" I said. And she's like "Yeah..right.. go find out where the clicking is coming from"

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Do your clowns make the clicking sound too
Not for the games, sometimes for food

tmcmullen

Post by tmcmullen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 pm

That's really funny. My clowns don't hide as much. They come to the glass and greet me when I stoop down to check on them. Especially at feeding time! :) They are 9 years old though, so maybe they're just used to me, and I have 4 of them. I know they like to be in groups of 4 to 6.

ram13

its a slow process

Post by ram13 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 am

Yes. Mine used to be like that intially, always hiding in the caves etc whenever I come closer to the tank.
It used to be really funny when I stood closer to the tank, still - they peek out slowly to see if I am gone and dash in again seeing me still standing :)

Now they're 4 years old in my tank and they're used to me I suppose. They aren't running / hiding anymore - and are very inquisitive. Whenever there is music playing on TV they crowd to that corner of the tank to look at the TV. Its a bit quirky to think your fish enjoys music... but you never know what runs in their minds...