Are Green Tiger Loaches(Syncrossus hymenophysa) jumpers?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jyynx

Are Green Tiger Loaches(Syncrossus hymenophysa) jumpers?

Post by Jyynx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 pm

I picked up 4 of these little guys last night from my LFS. I plan on getting more at a later date. I set them up in a 10 gallon quarantine tank (they're about 1 inch) with some aeration and a few little hidey areas.

Before I went to bed last night everyone was doing fine. I checked on them before I left for uni this morning and everyone was still doing well. I just checked on them an hour ago and there are only 3. I searched all over the tank, took out all of the decor and even sifted around the gravel. The 4th loach is nowhere to be found. I searched the floor around the tank and I can't find him :/ There is a small place near the filter he could have jumped through if he was very precise I suppose, but his body is nowhere to be found. Maybe one of the cats found him and took him away :(

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 pm

He's in the filter in some odd position you'd never expect.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Jyynx

Post by Jyynx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 am

I have no idea how he would have gotten into the filter, the intake looks waaaaay to small. I did a check of the filter and didn't see him.

However, there are again 4 loaches. The little Houdini decided to reappear. It's a relief, but I'm still confused.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:38 am

The same thing happened with one of our platies, and then on of our yoyos. They jumped in the filter (Juwel, so there's a gaping hole between the heater and pump). Getting them out wasn't easy, and I almost gave up on the Yoyo. We've put a piece of filtersponge over the hole so they can't jump in again. The platy got burnt by the heater, but it healed up quickly.