Head count?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

apollo

Head count?

Post by apollo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 pm

I added 4 kuhlis to my aquarium. I understand by nature that they are nocturnal and a bit shy. I have seen a loach (or loaches) twice. Not sure if its the same one or ones. Is there any diffentive way of coaxing them for a head count? i.e. a specific type of food placed strategically in the aquarium and watching for them at night? I have a 55gal heavily planted aquarium. peace, kris :lol:

Francois van Brederode

Post by Francois van Brederode » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:55 am

You could try fasting them for a few days.
After there good 'an hungry they should go berserk about a single tablet of food.

That usually brings out my 42 assorted pangio's :D
Pardon my English, I'm from Holland....

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:43 am

Hi Apollo...,

When I first got my Kuhlies, I worried about them constantly. Several times a day, I would check and try to count each one of them. This could get frustrating and in the end was helping neither me nor my fish.

After awhile, I relaxed when I realized they were OK. Pangio Kuhlies do tend to be quite retiring. I also have Pangio Oblonga and Pangio Doriae, both of which make themselves known more often than the regular Kuhlies. Currently, the lights in my big tank are off and all three of my Oblongas are out while the Pangios are nowhere to be seen. They like to hide under a log.

If you have a planted tank, they have lots of spots to hide, which, believe it or not, will actually help you to be able to see them more often. If there is lots of plant cover they will feel more secure and more likely to come out.

I have found mine will sometimes come out after water changes, or if something in the tank has been slightly moved or altered. This could be something very simple; not changing the entire environment which can be stressful for them if it happens too often.

Foods I have found they like are frozen foods like Krill and Bloodworms. The other day I fed Krill to my Doriae, who live in a rock pile. When it blew by their spot, three little heads popped out at exactly the same time as though synchronized. All my fish absolutely love Cyclop-eeze Micro Crabs, made by Tetra. For some reason, it sends my fish into a frenzy; even those who are not normally out.

Another trick you might try is putting some food in a worm feeder, forcing them to come out to get some.

You might also like to look at getting some kind of moon light. A friend of mine uses those simple stick-on LED's that you can put in a closet or a child's room. You can get them at the dollar store, and they take two small batteries. You might find that your tank is a whole different world at night.

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.