Hillstream 20G long tank mates? Loricarid?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

rheophile

Hillstream 20G long tank mates? Loricarid?

Post by rheophile » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Hey guys,

I've been a fan of the Etheostoma genus since grad school and have recently decided to set up a tank for their Eurasian counterparts.

I'm setting up three 20g Long tanks.
In one I have installed a manifold and hope to breed Sewellia lineolata though these will be primarily display tanks too.
I was wondering about peaceful baby-safe tankmates though? I know that many Loricarids are rheophilic as well and would be more at home in a hillstream tank instead of the planted/community tanks they are so often put in, but what would be a pretty, peaceful, baby-safe option for a 20g long that does not cost $80 a fish? Otos et al?

I know better than to put darters in there or the babies would be gone, and I hope for another 20g long to be more of a hillstream loach community style tank with several compatible Balitoridae. The third will either be more darters (mine are currently in a native stream community tank) or a colony of shell dweller cichlids.

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:48 pm

I would suggest Freshwater Gobies, if you can find them. Check out Odyssey's post in the freshwater section. "Stiphodon Genus of the Goby." There are some absolutely gorgeous pictures of Hillstreams and Gobies kept together.

Have fun setting up your new tank.

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

rheophile

Post by rheophile » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Stiphodon Genus
I would love those since they remind me so much of my darters, and http://www.franksaquarium.com/goby.htm makes me drool, but he is out of them all and I've looked everywhere. I can get S. elegans via Segrest Farms when they have them occasionally, but otherwise I'm stumped...[/url]

CatsandFish

Post by CatsandFish » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:50 am

I keep a Chaetostoma Sp.2 with my hillstream loaches (Beaufortia, Sewellias and Gastro's) and i never had any problems but the fact they leave the Chaetostoma alone, for it is quite protective of it's chosen space :)
Try And Pry Open Your Third Eye

waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:06 am

rheophile wrote:
Stiphodon Genus
I would love those since they remind me so much of my darters, and http://www.franksaquarium.com/goby.htm makes me drool, but he is out of them all and I've looked everywhere. I can get S. elegans via Segrest Farms when they have them occasionally, but otherwise I'm stumped...[/url]
All you have to do is put in a request at Frank's forum. He will get them in for you. I LOVE Frank!! He Qt's and makes sure all fish are eating, and packs them up like a present{unrivaled attention to detail}
Keep Smiling :>)~ Carole