Baby Kuhlis again

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Canyoncarver

Baby Kuhlis again

Post by Canyoncarver » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Here is a link to the last batch. We ended up with about 15 that made it to adults, which are all still alive. http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Still cleaning right now and have only found a few but still may be more.

glenna

Post by glenna » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:07 pm

after you discover that there are babies, what do you do next?
Do you keep the parents in with the babies?... do you have to move them to a special fry tank? maybe the other fish in the tank will see them as snacks, which makes sense.
Keep us posted!
glenna

Canyoncarver

Post by Canyoncarver » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 pm

They are too little to catch at this point. Next week we are going to try to catch and isolate.

clint

Post by clint » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:40 am

Congrats on your continued success. Do you know why they spawn? Temp fluctuations any kind of changes to their environment? I got my Pangios to spawn, but don't know the how or whys of it, so far i've only seen 1 baby who is half grown now.

Canyoncarver

Post by Canyoncarver » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:08 pm

I have no idea how this happened. The first time it happened they were living in a 46 gallon tank. Now due to a Jack Dempsey they are currently located in a ten gallon. The only thing I could come up with is they are getting up there in years. I usually make them little burrows in the gravel under rocks. I had a big tray full of fine sand thinking they would borrow in it. They ignored it. PH 7.5

clint

Post by clint » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:28 am

My pangios bred for me, but i only have seen 1 viable young one. I'm just trying to figure out if say temps lower/higher can throw them into breeding, any little details like that. Maybe its not a seasonal fluctuation thing? But one has got to think something has to trigger the females to produce roe. I wish i knew more about them. I really like my Kuhlis, may you have continued success with yours.

Canyoncarver

Re: Baby Kuhlis again

Post by Canyoncarver » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Holy cow it has gotten out of control. Some of the young are comming out of the gravel and are starting to school with the larger ones. There is a bunch more tiny ones in the gravel. It is obvious that I am going to have to upgrade the tank size. I have given some to everyone that has wanted some and no one wants any more.

Id question. Pics aren't that great, sorry. The little bugger on top of the rock. It was tiny when I got it, looked just like a baby kuhli with stripes. The store had it labeled as a hoarse face, which I know can get large. It grew to a little over an inch and has been that way for 4 years. So I know it isn't a horse face, pony face? I have no idea.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Wow! So cool! I wish I had that problem. If I lived close to you, I would love some Kuhlies.

I got a tiny fish that has stayed small that was sold as a horseface, but might be a peacock loach: Lepidocephalichthys annandalei.

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... ck#p187308

Canyoncarver

Post by Canyoncarver » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 am

Well, the kuhlies tank sprung a leak last night and we had to get a new tank. During the transfer my girlfriend counted an even 30 kuhlies including the adults. One of them was so tiny ;)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:10 am

Glad you didn't lose your little Kuhlies and you big kuhlies and a new tank. :)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Congrats on your continued pangio breeding. It would be interesting if the offspring are even more prolific, a domestic strain sounds exciting! Keep us updated on any F2s.

Canyoncarver

Post by Canyoncarver » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:57 pm

They seem to be very happy little buggers. When we thaw out some blood worms and drop them in there it is quite a sight. I do wish I had this kind of luck with banded kuhlies, but the black ones are just as cute. One thing I have noticed is that (at least this batch) of kuhlies prefer the larger gravel as a home. I had always pictured them buried in sand with their little heads poking up. So we filled half of the tank with sand an half with common tank gravel. To my surprise they stayed in the gravel most of the time. Every now and then they would burrow around in the sand but always returned to the gravel. That little pony face (I think that is what it is) on the other hand loved the sand. It would burrow down with only its little eyes poking out, and stay in the sand most of the time. After six months we replaced the sand with larger gravel. They ended up spending most of their time in the larger gravel. So after a couple of months we converted the whole tank to the larger gravel. Sorry about the rant but that was something I had wanted to try for years.