kahlis in an 8 gallon tank.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

maxymumcool

kahlis in an 8 gallon tank.

Post by maxymumcool » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:21 pm

i have an 8 gallon tank and 3 loaches in it. is alright to keep them in that 8 gallon tank? how fast will they grow?

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:55 am

It depends on the tanks footprint. If the tank is a normal shaped tank then I'd be inclined to say that it will be too small in the long run. The minimum size I'd recommend is 60cm x 30cm (height is not too important to Pangio species). Although they aren't large fish they are active, especially when kept in a good sized group of 5-8 specimens.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 pm

I agree with Doc that a 24" (60 cm) tank would work better in the long run. A 20 Gallon Long is actually a perfect tank for Kuhlies. It is 30 inches (76 cm) long but only 12" (30 cm) tall. This way, you could also look at increasing their numbers, as 3 Kuhlies is considered to be an absolute minimum. You will see more interesting behaviour the more you have.

You are very limited with an 8G tank. I would say it is possible to keep them there long-term, but it is certainly not optimal. Although Kuhli Loaches do not grow fast, they will eventually reach a size of 4" (10 cm), and can live many years. They also need a lot of hiding spaces to feel secure; heavy planting, leaf litter, and wood or other decor to hide in.

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.