Sewellia lineolata babies

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Zhivana

Sewellia lineolata babies

Post by Zhivana » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi, everyone.
I'm one of the Russian-speaking loachacholics :). In our forums at loaches.ru I frequently post links to some interesting topics from this site, so now we thought why don't we share some of our happiness with you here :D .
And we have sewellia babies - as a result of spontaneous spawnings in two different tanks that belong to 2 different fishkeepers from Moscow. The thing is - both the tanks cannot be by any means called river-tanks.
The first is a 230 litres planted set-up with lots of lighting and temperature ranging from 24 at night to 27 during the day, PH around 6.5-7, and frequent water changes. The owner spotted the babies, but thought they were cories, and payed little attention. Unfortunately, what he spotted was planaria, so he treated the whole tank with "no-planaria" which caused the death of two adult sewellias. Another 4 adults and more than 40 babies seem to be fine.

The second tank is 190 l., t 26, PH 7,5. Like in the first case, the tank owner had no idea those were sewellia babies. And in a week after finding them there was a serious outbreak of ich. So they were treated with Sera costapur, then Omnipur, then Ick Cure, and finally Sera Protazol, and - I don't know how - but everyone has survived. So now it's another happy tank with parents and lots of babies measuring 1mm to 1cm.
There they are, little cuties

More photos are here
http://loaches.ru/gallery/user/1682/
http://www.loaches.ru/articles/article_5695.html

And even a short vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDoAj9VE-iE

So maybe it's not such a big deal for you here, but we are definitely excited :lol: .
Sorry for the long post, and thank you for the attention. :roll:
Last edited by Zhivana on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katy

Post by Katy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:35 pm

They are adorable!!!!

Congratulations!

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:42 pm

congratulations Zhivana
as I'm preparing an article on sewellia for this autumn it would be interesting to hear news about growth of your lineolatas - whenever you have details about size and age.
cheers charles

gdigger

Post by gdigger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:01 pm

ch.koenig wrote:congratulations Zhivana
as I'm preparing an article on sewellia for this autumn it would be interesting to hear news about growth of your lineolatas - whenever you have details about size and age.
cheers charles
Ok, some details. For now, smallest ones ~5-6mm, biggest is about 12-14mm. Age is a big question for me :) At least 4 weeks.

Zhivana

Post by Zhivana » Mon May 10, 2010 8:15 am

Hello again,
here's a small upgrade.

Babies from the 230L tank:

The pics were taken some 2 weeks ago (I'm just falling behind with upgrades here), at that moment the eldest ones measured 18 mm - apparently big enough to be finally noticed by the adults who started chasing them off.
Their body color differs - some are darker, some lighter.

In the 190L tank the spawning goes on. There are at least 3 broods, the eldest are 1.5-2 cm, the youngest are still tiny. Difficult to count, but there are at least 40 of them. And just like in the previous case only when they reach some 2 cm of length the parents begin to fight them off food.
Here's the new vid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/loachesru?f ... yIMlZj3-cs

Thanks again for your attention,
Zhenya.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Mon May 10, 2010 8:36 am

Excellent photos and video! I like all of the rocks that you have in your tank.

Zhivana

Post by Zhivana » Tue May 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks, Keith
Unfortunately for me neither the photos nor the video are mine :?
But I'll pass this message along to the owners :)