Will yoyos leave nerites alone?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kjackey

Will yoyos leave nerites alone?

Post by kjackey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:50 pm

Wanting to get 10 -15 nerite snails for my tank for looks and algae control, but worried they'll be lunch for my 3 yoyos. Would like to keep the yoyos, but if I have to ditch em I will.

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:14 pm

I had some large Apple Snails, and my Botia Histrionica ate them. They were huge, and I thought for sure they were large enough not to become a meal... I was wrong. The Botia took them out and then the other Loaches joined on the feeding frenzy.

I wouldn't worry too much about the larger snails with Cobitis-type Loaches, but Botias are another matter. I'm sure they will make a meal out of your snails.

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

Sharkscott2

Post by Sharkscott2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:13 pm

I briefly had 3 nerite snails. My 2.5-3 inch Kubotais killed them. I bet your Yoyos would do the same.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:58 pm

I had four nerites in a tank with yoyo's and striata. All lasted for 2 years, one died a year later and the last is alive and well after 4 years. The thing is, though, they've been wandering around blind all this time... So better not to do it.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman