beaufortia tank and keeping

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Lance-Hardwood

Post by Lance-Hardwood » Fri May 14, 2010 10:53 am

Katja, what kind of flakes are you feeding them? If you can tell me the brand that would be great too. My loaches are picky eaters, I have tried a lot of different kinds of food but they won't touch most of them.

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Fri May 14, 2010 12:53 pm

hi
as far I can jugde they don't like flakes with "green" ingredients. I use flakes made by an local producer in little quantities (no artificial components) apt for most predators - cichlids in first place.
cheers Charles

katja

Post by katja » Sat May 15, 2010 4:47 am

Huhu!

They get different flake mixes, nothing in special. At the moment it's Supervit 8Mix Flakes from Tropical. When I bought them they told me they were german breed, they even gave me the name of the breeder but I don't remember it now, so I thought maybe they were used to non-living food. By now I know they haven't been bred in captivity so this theory doesn't work anymore.

Greeting,
Katja

katja

Post by katja » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Huhu!

As I promised, a new picture of the tank. I reworked the set-up two days ago, so the plants will have to grow a bit.

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/sdc15110d5fy3sqv.jpg

Greetings,
Katja

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Very nice!

Iris76

Post by Iris76 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 am

Hi Katja,

Lovely set-up, looks great.
I have 4 Beaufortia's and i think they are the smartest of the hillstreams i keep. They are always first in finding the foodpallets, no matter where i put the flakes.
I always stick the flakes on another spot in the tank and it's the Beaufortia's who seem to have no trouble with the game, at all. They always find the pellets as first.
They aren't picky, either. They are good eaters.
I feed them Tetra Wafermix, Hikari Algae Wafers and sometimes frozen Artemia or Bloodworms. I tend to stick the pellets to one spot. I let the pellets soak in a few drops of Fishtamin for a minute or so and then push them on a random pebble with my thumb. What i do find difficult, is to find the right format of pellets. Most pellets do what i don't want them to do.
They let loose too soon. The Tetra and Hikari wafers are the only ones that fit the desired profile, so far.

Keep up the good work and it's nice to see more Beaufortia fans on the forum :)
"Only dead fish go with the flow "