Leptobotia elongata article in Tropical Fish Hobbyist

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat May 29, 2010 8:25 am

we helped fund a breeding project to reintroduce this fish back into the wild, in return we were given permission to obtain some of these beauties.
That's great work you are doing!! :D

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat May 29, 2010 10:35 am

Fugupuff,
Is there a project website?
If fishing and habitat degradation are the problems, what is the intended restoration/re-release programme?
I work in coral restoration primarily, but am also involved in butterflies and small vertebrates in the Caribbean. In the absence of a protected area(s programmes) ex situ captive maintenance is a valuable stop-gap. Let's hope there is a happier end-game for this species then high-end aquaria.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

fugupuff

Post by fugupuff » Sat May 29, 2010 4:54 pm

this company has been primarily backed by Chinese government, to breed and reintroduce/release fish back into the Yangtze tributaries, including leptobotia elongata, but not limited to that. The hydroelectric companies were fined by the government for river dams and habitat destruction. Most of the migratory species are effected and in perile in China. The bright side is that the Chinese are good at breeding, the sad part is that many smaller species are overlooked and will be gone before you know it.

They've bred andrias davidianus, myxocyprinus asiaticus, procypris raubaudi, some bagridae catfish.

The loaches are of very low economical/commercial value, only a couple of farms succeeding in breeding them, and since there isn't much commercial importance, they may focus on other species instead that are more economical viable.

They do not have a website now, the town they're in doesn't even have paved roads and people live in clay/straw brick homes.

In this country we concern ourselves with protecting a species, animal rights, etc...in other parts of the world, many focus on staying well fed, and alive, the perspective is very different.

I hope that by having some coomercial interest in these fish, it could possibly sustain this specie ex situ like the sceleropages formosus, or chromobotia macracanthus.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 am

When you've got a few F2's to sell, keep us posted.
Where's your breeding facility? Sorry if it's in the text and I've missed it.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"