Sewelia tank set-up 112 litres

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Dusko

Sewelia tank set-up 112 litres

Post by Dusko » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi all,

I am planing to set-up a 112 lit (2x 18 watt T-8 )river tank for the Sewelia lineolata (how many?)
There will be some other species in as Tulomelania sp. Yellow snails, Neritina sp. Zebra and Atya gabonensis shrimp and some sort of a shoaling fish to fill the upper part of the river (not decided yet).

I will not be creating a strong jet flow but I will make sure to get a very good water turn over rate. Instead of jet pumps I will add one Koralia Nano which propels 900 l/h. Plus, I will have 1 x 600l/h AquaEl sponge power head.

Substarte will be quartz sand 0,5mm well uniformed (round) with some river pebles here and there. Huge rocks will go in the background (lots of them). Rock name is I believe Fossilized Wood (can't wait to start aquascaping).
I will aslo add a few branches of Curio Wood just to spice up the underwater drama :lol:

I would like to plant some Crinum calamistratum at the sides and some Anubias nana in between the rocks just to add some green to it.

To start the biological process I will be using a sponge from one of my mature tanks (I will also rinse a dirty songe into the aqurium) to Jump Start the system. I will also add some Hygrophila polysperma to help keep low any possible NH4 (which I will remove after a month or so). At the start I will only use the sponge power head and add the Koralia Propeler head after a month (otherwise it will blow away the Hygrophila plants).

Thanks for reading!

Any tips?

Kind regards, Dusko :D

Dusko

Post by Dusko » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi again :)

I am still deciding what shaoling specie to get. Are there any other shoaling species which prefer stronger currents? (except WCMM).

Thanks!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Many of the danio and chela species would work as would some of the rasboras.

Dusko

water added 2010.05.01

Post by Dusko » Thu May 06, 2010 10:31 am

Hallo friends :D

Here is how the tank look at the moment;

I am Jump Starting this tank. I added mature filter media from my established tank.
I will leave this tank as it is for about 2 weeks and then I will add the shoal of Vietnamese Minnow.

Kaja B

Post by Kaja B » Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Correct me if im wrong but isnt there a huge temperature gap between Hillstreams and Tylomelania snails?
Hillies are a cooler water species and the tylomelania snails live and thrive in temperatures between 27 degrees celcius to 32 or possibly more, because of the hot springs in their native lakes.
I keep tylomelania snails myself and they tend to go into a state of sleep, and barely move if the temperature drops below 26.
Therefore i would not recommend hillies and tylomelania snails together, as it would be a huge compromise for one or both of them.

Dusko

Post by Dusko » Sat May 08, 2010 3:11 am

Thanks for the tip about not mixing the snails and Hillis :D

Noted! I am taking the snails out of the stocking list and even the Atya shrimp. I will keep only the Hillies.

Kind regards, Dusko