Loach compatibility

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Dusko

Loach compatibility

Post by Dusko » Sun May 09, 2010 3:38 am

Hi all,

I am starting a new 180 litres planted tank and would like to keep loaches like Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki or Botia kubotai.
I know that loaches can nip fins at other fish especialy bottom dwelling like Corydoras.

Fisrt of all is 180 litres too small for kubotai if not how many do you recomand I keep as a group?

If going with the Sidths how many do you recomand I keep?
Do Sidths eat plants like Cryptos, Bacopa, Crinum, Hygrophila?

My plan was to keep the Loaches with Cory panda and Garra flavatra + some sort of Barb (five banded or Occelated)

What are your thoughts on this one?

Thank you for replying!

Regards, Dusko

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon May 10, 2010 10:34 pm

180 liters is fine for Kubs, especially if it is a standard or long tank, not as great if it is a tall tank. Loaches are almost all bottom fish, and need that territory.

I have not had Loaches bother plants, though I have heard of Clowns poking holes in large leaves such as Echinodorus.

Sids can be little pests to some other fish. I have some Turquoise Rainbows and Cories in the tank with my sids, and there are no issues. One of their favorite spots is on top of a sponge, and othen there will be several Sids and a Cory on it.

I have some 5-lined Barbs (pentazona) in a tank with Congo Tetras, Angelfish and a few others. (no loaches) and the Barbs are lower level fish that do not bother the others.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!