loach proofing a koralia

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

glenna

loach proofing a koralia

Post by glenna » Wed May 12, 2010 12:39 pm

I am getting ready to try and add some extra flow to my 125 gallon loach tank
right now I have a 13V UV sterilizer that has a pretty decent powerhead (211 gph) , a penguin power head and a maxijet. The two powerheads were leftovers from other tanks and are way too small ( 230 gph for the maxijet and the peguin is even smaller). Filtraton is wet-dry with two return pumps but they are pumping against a 4 foot head, so really do not provide a huge amount of flow.
the tank has 5 clowns, 3 kubs, 2 rubber lipped plecos, 7 rainbowfish and 7 buenos aires tetras, 2 SAEs. All would like some more flow except for those plecos, but they have ample hiding places.
I am interested in the hydor koralia flow pumps but have read several comments about "loach proofing" them. Is it necessary to keep them from squeezing in there (I have a hard time imagining that this is possible, but do not want to risk my loaches).
I am still trying to design the "flow" around the tank to eliminate a couple of dead spaces. It is a drilled tank with the two column overflows on the back wall, so a little tricky to get flow back in those corners.
Anyway, I would appreciate any advice!
glenna

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed May 12, 2010 6:59 pm

glenna, you should check out this article:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/water-m ... h-aquarium

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Katy

Post by Katy » Wed May 12, 2010 7:28 pm

We've gone low-tech and just wrapped them in a mesh fabric. Doesn't look as neat as the screen inside, but it works.

glenna

Post by glenna » Wed May 12, 2010 9:54 pm

thanks all for the input
the article was VERY helpful, Martin, and gave me a lot to think about.
I am not sure at this point what I will do in the long run, but Katy and Cloudhands idea with a mesh covering OVER the koralia would allow me to immediately improve flow without risking the safety of the fish.
I wish I had done the river manifold at this point, but we know what is said about hindsite...
thanks again!
glenna

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Wed May 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Martin, (and others)

I have a 125 gallon aquarium with loaches with pool filter sand. After reading your article on water movement, I have a few thoughts and questions.

You know what, rather than hijack this thread, I think I should start a new one.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu May 13, 2010 7:29 pm

You don't really even have to "wrap" them- just drape the mesh over the thing, tie it with string at the base (towards the pivot) and turn it on. The suction holds the mesh in place perfectly, and you can move it around as necessary.
NB: touch wood, my loaches have grown too big to get into/through the plastic grating, so I took the mesh off. It's been about 3 months, and no problems (and flow is monstrous). Touch wood again.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

glenna

Post by glenna » Fri May 14, 2010 6:16 pm

great!!
sounds like this will work well.
Off to the LFS for a couple koralia!
glenna

glenna

Post by glenna » Fri May 14, 2010 9:04 pm

okay, this is what I am thinking about getting, but wanted to see what you all thought before I bought stuff....

Recall that the tank is one of those drilled ones with the two semi-oval columns on the back wall for the overflows. these are about 10 "W x 6 " deep and run vertically up the back of the tank to house the overflow assemblies).

My plan is to get two koralia 3 (supposedly that's 850 GPH each) to run from opposite ends of the tank. If I offset them (one at the front - with flow running lengthwise, the other on the opposite short wall of the tank, as far back as the overflow columns will allow) then there should be a sort of circular flow pattern. I plan to place them mid depth in the tank.
The return pumps come back at the top, directed downward, from each back corner (right outside the overflow columns).
Then, I will use the poopy little powerheads that I have to try and deal with the space BETWEEN the overflow columns.
This still leaves the two back corners which will be out of the flow loop, but this would be a good start, I think.
any critique???
glenna

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat May 15, 2010 9:26 am

Put a little structure in those dead-water corners to make sure the fish get in there and give it a stir every now and again.
Good choice on the Kor-3. The Kor-2 is a little... lame in my experience. I've got the two ( 3 and a 2) "stacked" one over the other and the 3 moves WAY more water, and they're the same size. Only difference is the size of the propeller... a little cheeky, to be honest.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

glenna

Post by glenna » Sat May 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks, Andyroo,
I am putting in my order tomorrow, so your comments are appreciated.
I think every plan will need some tweaking once the first part is in place, but I think all the fish will be better off.
I'll keep you posted!
glenna

bigpow

Post by bigpow » Tue May 18, 2010 1:32 am

got 5x K4, using 3x on my 125G - no covers.
will get more soon.

super efficient, quiet, cool, easy to maintain - what more to ask?