Water movement

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bookpage

Water movement

Post by bookpage » Wed May 12, 2010 10:55 pm

I have a 125 gallon aquarium with loaches with pool filter sand. After reading your article on water movement, I have a few thoughts and questions.

In your article, you say: "Because most loaches prefer a sand substrate and indeed here at loaches Online we positively encourage fish-keepers to keep their fish over a sand substrate, ingestion of sand particles must be avoided."

and I agree. I just wish I had used or could have found black sand. Waste does not look good on light colored sand.

In your article, you say: "Powerheads may be mounted in various ways depending on the manufacturer's mounting options or by DIY ingenuity. As we usually mount them relatively low, protecting them from solids ingestion is important."

I can't have my powerhead (Koralia #4 - 4600 L/H, 1200 GPH) mounted low because it moves the sand around like the wind does to make sand dunes. I like a stable, planted tank and don't like the sand all at one end of my tank.

My filtration consists of:

Cascade 1500 Canister Filter - 350 gph
Rena XP-3 Canister Filter - 350 gph
Aqueon 55 Power Filter - 325 gph
Marineland HOT Magnum Filter for micron water polishing

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can position my Koralia or should I just get a different power head?

Do I have enough filtration for my aquarium? I have 14 clowns with 14 other loachs and 2 SAE (Crossocheilus siamensis). Thinking about taking one of the SAE out because one chases the other a lot.

Thank you for any suggestions or help.
Last edited by bookpage on Fri May 14, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 13, 2010 2:38 am

If you want them low why not mount the Koralia so they are aimed up toward the surface somewhat. You will still get the flow and current but will also get good surface agitation and gaseous exchange.
Failing that keeping them above the mid line of the tank should suffice.

As regards the SAE. If they are one of the Crossocheilus species then I'd more. The aggression will reduce greatly. Aim for at least 4 or 5.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu May 13, 2010 11:52 am

Set up the others and see where the dead spots are. Modify the others if possible and check again.
Find any remaining spots that need a bit more water movement. Then put the Koralia nearby. If the dead spot is too close to the sand, then put the Koralia above it. The Koralia will draw the water through the dead area but with less disturbance to the substrate. If the dead spot is higher up then aim the Koralia at it from nearby.

The whole tank does not have to be in violent motion. Better if it is not. There needs to be enough water movement to keep the oxygen levels up, and to keep debris moving toward the filter intakes. But the whoe tank does not have to be a river. The fish appreciate some calmer areas, too.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Diana wrote:Set up the others and see where the dead spots are.

Set up what 'others'? All on my list is up and running. The two canister filters have spray bars (one under the other) on one end pointing to the other end. The two HOB filters are on back side on each end of the tank. I have the power head mounted opposite the spray bars. I had it on same end as spray bars, but it caused too much movement of the sand (even pointing it up and about midway down from top).
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Fri May 14, 2010 1:23 pm

No one else has any suggestions or opinions? I am open to constructive criticism. :o

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Fri May 14, 2010 2:36 pm

I think that the advice that Diana gave is very good. That is, without the Koralia set up, observe carefully where any dead spots are (where debris builds up) and then set up the Koralia to eliminate these. Unless your sand is really fine grained, it is possible to place the Koralia at a height and angle so that it does not move the sand around. If you get it set up well, with few or no dead spots, then light sand works very well, since there is no debris on it, since it all gets moved around and eventually gets filtered out.

Good luck.