Hillstream Loaches compatible with Albino Bushynose Pleco?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Lance-Hardwood

Hillstream Loaches compatible with Albino Bushynose Pleco?

Post by Lance-Hardwood » Fri May 14, 2010 4:14 pm

I have a 20G tank with a single Albino Bushynose Pleco, I plan to move my two Beaufortia into that tank. Do you think they will get along? My pleco is about 2inches long.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri May 14, 2010 5:53 pm

In terms of personality they are likely to get along. I would worry about them competing for food. A 20 gallon is not very big as far as growing enough algae to feed just the Pleco by himself, especially as he gets bigger.
Bristlenose Plecos are really good at eating algae, and I would worry for any other fish that graze the algae and its fauna. Adding supplements will help. Try all the vegetables that we eat, lightly cooked, and see what the Pleco is willing to eat. You can also try algae wafers and carnivore wafers. Look for whole fish and shellfish, spirulina and other algae in the ingredients. Avoid fish meal and grains.
Both species eat algae, and whatever microfauna that is in the algae, so a mixed diet that is high in plant based foods but also offers some protein is good for them.

Ultimately the BN will outgrow this tank, and should be moved up to a larger tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!