Will Homoloptera Eat Cherry Shrimp?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

soul-hugger

Will Homoloptera Eat Cherry Shrimp?

Post by soul-hugger » Thu May 27, 2010 1:37 pm

I might have the opportunity to get some Homoloptera. They are being called "Flying Leopard Plecos," and the picture onsite leaves me unable to identify a particular species.

But I was wondering if they would eat Red Cherry Shrimp. If they would eat only the smallest babies, this would be OK. What I'm curious about is if they would aggressively seek them. It would make the most sense to amalgamate two tanks as opposed to starting another, which is why I ask.

Thanks,
soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu May 27, 2010 4:04 pm

"Flying Leopard Plecos"! That's a trade name I haven't heard.
Any ideas at all what they are? What looks the most like them?
I imagine they would eat tiny baby shrimp if they find them, but doubt they would bother adults.
I have a huge number of shrimp in my two main hillstream tanks and have not noticed homalopteras or any other hillstreams making a dent in the population. I wish they would.
That being said, I did see some new Homaloptera smithi a couple of days ago, dart as if striking at something and thought they were going after baby shrimp.

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Thu May 27, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi, Jim..,

Thanks for the response! I hope this link works.

http://www.littlefishcompany.com/Little ... r.html#137

It is a picture of the "Flying Leopard Pleco."

A good testament as to why we prefer the Latin names:)

If you could ID it, that would be even better. I have always wanted some of these - they seem like such neat fish - but thought I'd probably never find them!

Thanks,
soul-hugger

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Thu May 27, 2010 11:50 pm

I just checked the link, and it works, but it will take you to a slideshow. (Sorry it is long) If you are patient, it is near the end. There are some other neat fish on the list though too.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu May 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Wow! Those are nice!
I'm not sure what they are. It might help to see more pics.
I'm leaning toward Annamia normani, from what I can see.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/annamia-unknown01
That place certainly has quite an unusual selection of fish.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Sun May 30, 2010 11:42 pm

Or Vanmanenia hainanensis they did come in skinny when I got them.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/at ... 1234402610

Francois van Brederode

Post by Francois van Brederode » Mon May 31, 2010 12:03 am

Good find,

However, I for one would not buy anything from this trader.

Have you seen how many injected or mutant fish they sell.
I wouldn't want anything to do with that.
Pardon my English, I'm from Holland....

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Unfortunately, they are sold out anyway:(

I do agree about the dyed and hybrid fish, and would never buy them. The processes they use to dye and tattoo fishes are horrific, and forced hybridization is highly unnatural, often leaving the fish with undesirable traits that must make life for them uncomfortable, to say the least.

With such an endless array of beautiful and fascinating fish to choose from, it is a wonder people feel the desire to alter them in this or other ways. Even the genetic alteration that produces a sort of bioluminescence in Glo-Fish, I find deplorable.

However, I live where the pickings are incredibly slim. The supplier in question deals with the only locally owned fish store left in our city, which I would rather support than the Big Box Chains.

On the upside, I have been able to be part of a tremendous growth and revamping of our Local Aquarium Society. We are promoting an awareness of the processes used to dye and otherwise alter fish, encouraging people not to buy them and to speak out against this cruelty.

Hopefully, along with this, there will come a day where people have more choices available to them so that they can refuse to support this altogether. It's too bad that apart from individual online ordering (which comes with its own brand of risk and hassle -especially for those who don't use credit cards-) lack of choice has to be the number one reason informed hobbyists cannot make a more complete stand on this issue.

soul-hugger