Motivating lazy clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Canyoncarver

Motivating lazy clowns

Post by Canyoncarver » Mon May 31, 2010 12:39 am

So do clowns eat the common trumpet snail? Mine are certainly large enough but just spend all their time inside a hollow log with snails all around them. Should I try cracking a couple of snails and dropping them in the tank or cut down on the food a little or once a lazy clown always a lazy clown?

millsn

Post by millsn » Mon May 31, 2010 10:56 am

If my experience is anyting to go by, get yourself a powerhead of some sort. They'll all be out once the flow is increased. Bet your tank is largely still.

Canyoncarver

Post by Canyoncarver » Mon May 31, 2010 12:42 pm

75 gallons with 700 GPH filtration and huge air strips are making quite a current. They come out and scoot around every now and then, and I don't mind them camping out in the logs, it is just that they have snails right in front of them and they just ignore them.

OneWay

Post by OneWay » Mon May 31, 2010 1:19 pm

The air strips do not add too much current, although they look like they do. The bubbles ass some vertical, but mostly surface movement. A good powerhead would add a lot of current to the tank and motivate them to move about a bit more.

If the lighting is bright that can make them a bit more shy,, after that just give them time... took my shoal about a 7 months to lose all shyness in the new tank.

good luck,

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Mon May 31, 2010 7:52 pm

cracking the snail shells will help them learn that they are delicious snacks and give them drive to go after them on their own. keep it up for a while so they all get a chance, and then you wont be able to stop them. also, a powerhead and more hiding places will get them to come out more, and thereby be more likely to find/eat all the snails
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"