Good 'gh up' Product

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

JO

Good 'gh up' Product

Post by JO » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:35 am

I have 2 adult Clowns and am wondering if anyone can recommend a good 'gh up' product that is safe to use with them. I was told that epsom salts can be used as a way to raise the gh, but that it's not safe to use with Clowns. I have been using 'Dupla KH/GH +' but it just isn't working. My LFS even recommended I double dose each day until it works - this was unsuccessful too.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:03 am

What are your current Hardness readings?
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

JO

Post by JO » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:16 pm

gh = 5
kh = 4
pH = 7.5

I was told by my LFS that I need to raise the gh to at least 8 and have the kh between 4 and 8. They said my pH was okay.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Do not listen to that LFS. They are just trying to sell you stuff.

Your GH and KH and pH are just what my tap water is, and I keep most of my fish in that without any change. My Clown Loaches are in a tank with some peat moss in the filter, and this softens the water a bit, and lowers the pH.

GH and KH from about 3 degrees to 5 degrees is great for almost all soft water fish. I sure would not change it for Clown Loaches.

Now, if you were trying to keep livebearers...
I use Seachem Equilibrium to raise the GH for my Lake Tanganyikan tanks, and for livebearers. I usually get the GH over 9 for these hard water fish.
Epsom salt contains only magnesium. Fish and plants that come from hard water want more than just magnesium. Equilibrium offers a blend of minerals including calcium, magnesium and potassium.
If all you were looking for was a color on the test result then Epsom salt will raise the GH. But if you needed this at all you would be looking for the proper blend of minerals that the fish and plants need.

Actually, for Clown Loaches you do not need anything.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

JO

Post by JO » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks for your help. That clears things up a lot. :)